vovanenok
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Swithcing TM1 from server1 to server2

Post by vovanenok »

Hi all

We have TM1 10.2

I need to list the steps for switching TM1 from server1 to server2. We use IntegratedSecurityMode=5 and we do not have Contributor.
Let's say we have server1 for QA and server2 for PROD. Something happened to server2 and we want to use server1 for failover.
Yes, it contains the same folder structures except a model folder:

server2:
-- TM1QA
|- data
|- logs
|- templates

server1:
-- TM1PROD
|- data
|- logs
|- templates

"templates" folder contains excel files published to Applications and used in TM1Web. I found that a server name is hardcoded in some excel files and they use some VBA macro to change TM1 server name in those excel files when deploying from one environment to another one.

I checked all the processes do not contain any hardcoded paths.

Here is what listed to do for switching server1 to server2
- copy "data" folder
- change tm1s.cfg (ServerCAMURI,ClientCAMURI)

my question is do I need to worry about uploaded/published excel files? do I need to republish them or can I just copy some directory containing all the application entities?
----------
TeamOne Google Sheets add-on for IBM Planning Analytics
Let's connect on LinkedIn
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Swithcing TM1 from server1 to server2

Post by tomok »

vovanenok wrote:my question is do I need to worry about uploaded/published excel files? do I need to republish them or can I just copy some directory containing all the application entities?
Published Excel files are in a sub-directory called }Externals so copying the Data folder will take care of that for you.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
vovanenok

Post by vovanenok »

thanks tomok, that makes sense if I change ServerName in tm1s.cfg file, as I said above, I found in some excel files a server name is just hardcoded in all the formulas.

Also what I suppose from your reply, if I move my server1 (ServerName=TM1PROD) to server2 (ServerName=TM1QA) and I want to leave server2 as ServerName=TM1QA, I should not overwrite }Externals folder content, so I can backup }Externals, copy "data" folder, in "data" folder replace }Externals folder from that backup. In this way I will keep my published excels referencing server2 (ServerName=TM1QA).
Should I also do the same for }Applications, }ApplicationEntries.dim, }ApplicationSecurity.cub, }ApplicationSecurity}vues if they are the same on both servers?
----------
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

vovanenok wrote:Also what I suppose from your reply, if I move my server1 (ServerName=TM1PROD) to server2 (ServerName=TM1QA) and I want to leave server2 as ServerName=TM1QA, I should not overwrite }Externals folder content, so I can backup }Externals, copy "data" folder, in "data" folder replace }Externals folder from that backup. In this way I will keep my published excels referencing server2 (ServerName=TM1QA).
Should I also do the same for }Applications, }ApplicationEntries.dim, }ApplicationSecurity.cub, }ApplicationSecurity}vues if they are the same on both servers?
Your original post said nothing about selectively replacing objects from one server to another. Coping the data folder and all of it's contents is only going to to work for a complete replace and it's also not going to change any hard-coded server references in the published sheets. If you are just trying to selectively replace objects from one server to another then you really need to just re-publish.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
vovanenok

Post by vovanenok »

what I meant, when I have a websheet with a formula inside like: SUBNM("tm1prod: Cost Centre", "leaves", "CC1")
and now I copied a complete data folder to tm1qa, but I didn't change ServerName to "tm1prod" in tm1s.cfg, then that formula will fail.

My idea is to copy everything except applications . So I'm thinking of keeping "}Externals" and }Applications folders, }ApplicationEntries.dim, }ApplicationSecurity.cub and that should allow to leave current application entities in place.
Am I missing anything?
----------