[Solved] How to Enable Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.1?

Anuradha
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

[Solved] How to Enable Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.1?

Post by Anuradha »

Hi,

I have TM1 10.1 on Win 7 with .NETFRAMEWORK 3.5 SP1.
I am trying to get the Advanced Rules Editor by updating TM1P.ini file as T for AdvancedRulesEditor. I have restarted the services and still cannot get the AdvancedRulesEditor option. I have right click the Sales cube and chose create rule option and it still shows basic editor.

tm1p.ini file location path:-
C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\tm1\bin\tm1p.ini

Am I missing out something on 10.1? Please help me with this.

Thanks,
Anu
Last edited by Anuradha on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
charan
OLAP Product: cognos tm1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

Re: How to Enable Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.1?

Post by charan »

You must stop the services and update it, save it and restart the services(TM1 Admin services).
Try with this.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Anuradha wrote:Hi,

I am trying to get the Advanced Rules Editor by updating TM1P.ini file as T for AdvancedRulesEditor. I have restarted the services and still cannot get the AdvancedRulesEditor option. I have right click the Sales cube and chose create rule option and it still shows basic editor.

Thanks,
Anu
This is a client setting, it has nothing to do with the server. Stopping and restarting the services won't do a thing. Your problem is you changed the wrong tm1p.ini. The one you want to change is in your personal directory for app settings. I don't know what OS you are using but in Windows 7 you would find it in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Applix\TM1.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

tomok wrote:

Thanks,
Anu
This is a client setting, it has nothing to do with the server. Stopping and restarting the services won't do a thing. Your problem is you changed the wrong tm1p.ini. The one you want to change is in your personal directory for app settings. I don't know what OS you are using but in Windows 7 you would find it in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Applix\TM1.
Just to add to Tomok's quite correct answer, you can get to the relevant application data directory in any Windows version by typing the environment variable

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%
into the address bar of Windows Explorer and pressing Enter. That will take you directly there.

For some reason despite everything else being re-branded as IBM and/or Cognos, the file will indeed be found in a folder which is still named Applix.

I'd be interested to hear whether you get it to load in Windows 7. I have 10.1 on only a single test machine and as I mentioned recently in another thread the advanced rules editor wouldn't launch for me; it flashed a window which then just shrunk down to nothing and vanished. Whether that was an issue specific to that particular machine or whether it's something relating to the Win 7 / 10.1 combination is something that I'm curious about, though since I never use the thing I haven't put a great deal of effort into finding the answer.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
dkleist

Post by dkleist »

I had the same issue with CX10.1 client (Xcelerator) on Win7/Office2010. Advanced editor opens from Architect but fails from the Excel client. Machine has .Net 4 on it and my suspicions (unproven) is that somehow the calls via Excel get mangled because the multiple .Net versions on the machine. Between the slog to figure out root cause and end-of-life for Advanced Rules editor, the client is uninterested in pursuing the matter further.
Anuradha
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

[Solved] Re: How to Enable Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.1

Post by Anuradha »

This issue has been successfully resolved. This is what I followed to get to the solution :-

1. I stopped TM1 services. (No need to stop or start services. Please skip this step)
2. Typed %APPDATA% in a browser to get to the relevant application data directory in any Windows version by typing the environment variable
3. It took me to this path location 'C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Applix\TM1\tm1p.INI'
4. In tm1p.ini file, I have replaced 'F' with 'T' as "AdvancedRulesEditor = T". Save and close the file
5. Restarted the TM1 services. (Please skip this step.)
6. Right clicked a cube and chose the option Create Rule and tada Advanced Rules Editor opened.

Thanks everybody especially tomok and Alan for your timely response and helping me fix this.

Regards,
Anu
Last edited by Anuradha on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winoth
Version: TM1 9.4 and 9.5.2
Excel Version: Excel 2003

Re: [Solved] How to Enable Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.1

Post by winoth »

Alan Kirk wrote:
tomok wrote:

Thanks,
Anu
Just to add to Tomok's quite correct answer, you can get to the relevant application data directory in any Windows version by typing the environment variable

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%
into the address bar of Windows Explorer and pressing Enter. That will take you directly there.

For some reason despite everything else being re-branded as IBM and/or Cognos, the file will indeed be found in a folder which is still named Applix.

I'd be interested to hear whether you get it to load in Windows 7. I have 10.1 on only a single test machine and as I mentioned recently in another thread the advanced rules editor wouldn't launch for me; it flashed a window which then just shrunk down to nothing and vanished. Whether that was an issue specific to that particular machine or whether it's something relating to the Win 7 / 10.1 combination is something that I'm curious about, though since I never use the thing I haven't put a great deal of effort into finding the answer.

Hi Alan, Were you able to get it to work? Running TM1 10.1 FP1 client on Windows Server 2008, I am facing the same issue. So far, I have installed in two machines and it does not work in both.

Thanks.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

winoth wrote: Hi Alan, Were you able to get it to work? Running TM1 10.1 FP1 client on Windows Server 2008, I am facing the same issue. So far, I have installed in two machines and it does not work in both.
No, but I haven't tried all that hard because it doesn't matter to me.

If you're sure that you have the correct .Net frameworks installed it might be time to raise a Service Request with IBM support.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
gbehel
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos EP, Contributor
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by gbehel »

Thanks All,

I was facing this issue myself... could fix it with the replies given in this post

Regards
Gbehel
Bishop
Version: 10.2.2 looking at PA
Excel Version: 2016

Re: [Solved] How to Enable Advanced Rules Editor in TM1 10.1?

Post by Bishop »

And just a quick caveat to that solution - Architect (not the server) must be closed down before making the changes to the tm1p.ini file otherwise the file changes won't be retained.