TI process

TI process

Postby erakeman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 am

I have a process to add elements to a dimension via a csv file...simple, right? It works like a charm when I run a local server, however when I go to put it in production, I get an error stating that it was unable to open the file. The csv file is saved on the tm1 server. Any suggestions?
peace out,
rake
erakeman
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Re: TI process

Postby ScottW » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:27 am

You need to make sure that DatasourceNameForServer is pointing to the right place!

If you go to edit the process you will see that there are 2 boxes for an ASCII data source:
- The first text box, "Data Source Name" holds the string for the TI variable DatasourceNameForClient
- The second text box, "Data Source Name for Server" holds the string for the TI variable DatasourceNameForServer

DatasourceNameForClient is used to populate the data preview grid on the Data Source tab. The relevant file and access permissions (and possibly drive mapping) are determined by the client session.

DatasourceNameForServer is used at run time when the TI executes and must be either a UNC file path that the account which the TM1 service or application is running under has access to. Or probably more commonly a file path on the local machine that TM1 is running on. (Then you don't have to worry about maintaining network permissions for the TM1 system account.)

When you create a process both entries are the same by default, but this isn't necessarily what you want. Just remember that the entry for "Data Source Name for Server" must be entered from the server's view of the world not your own.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
ScottW
Regular Participant
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 12:08 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Re: TI process

Postby erakeman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:36 am

Scott, thanks. I have the DataSourceName and DataSourceName on server pointing to the same place. the file I am uploading is saved on our tm1 server. I ran the identical process with the identical file on a local server and it worked fine. I am new to the game so any advice is welcome. Thanks again.
peace out,
rake
erakeman
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Re: TI process

Postby Alan Kirk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:04 am

erakeman wrote:Scott, thanks. I have the DataSourceName and DataSourceName on server pointing to the same place. the file I am uploading is saved on our tm1 server. I ran the identical process with the identical file on a local server and it worked fine. I am new to the game so any advice is welcome. Thanks again.


Which version are you using, and what's the exact path that you're using for the DataSourceName?

In 9.1 we found that we could no longer use a mapped drive letter on the TM1 server, even though it pointed to a local folder on that server. We had to use either the local drive letter, or a UNC reference.

For example, on the server's D:\ drive we have a folder called
D:\TM1\Perspectives\Data

D:\Tm1 is a shared folder. It's mapped as the Y:\ drive on the server, and on client machines.

In version 8.2.12 we'd be able to use a path like
Y:\Perspectives\Data

in our TI's, but in 9.1 we had to make sure that we used either:
D:\TM1\Perspectives\Data

or

\\ServerName\TM1\Perspectives\Data

Note: This is an insidious little change, because when you are EDITING the process, you will be able to preview the data on the Data Source tab. Everything will look fine. It's only when you RUN the process that it will tell you that it can't find the data source.
"It's only 'hubris' if I fail."
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
User avatar
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:30 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 64 bit
Excel Version: XP to 2010

Re: TI process

Postby John Hobson » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 am

That's interesting Alan

It recalls a conversation that I had as a client went live shortly after upgrading to 9.1

"The import routine doesn't work"

{after a bit of investigation}

"OK I've change the drive letter and now it works"

"I thought you were supposed to be an expert - how come you got it wrong"

"Well it used to work and now it doesn't, so maybe they changed something"

I thought at the time that maybe I had done something wrong and didn't have the time to dig too deeply, but from what you say there it was one of those lovely ""I know, we'll change this and not tell anybody" things that Applix were so good at.
John Hobson
The Planning Factory

TM1 10.2.0 / Win7 / XL 2010
User avatar
John Hobson
Site Admin
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Lytham UK
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

Re: TI process

Postby erakeman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:51 am

Worked. Thanks for all your help.
peace out,
rake
erakeman
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 pm


Return to Cognos TM1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: babytiger, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests

Loading