viswaraju
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM COGNOS TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

coding in Cognos TM1

Post by viswaraju »

Hi experts,
please help me in this, i want to learn coding for cognos Tm1, i mean requirements which is not possible in Tm1 may possible with coding, which coding suits all the requirements for Tm1, if you suggest me i will learn that.

thanks and regards
cognos TM1 9.5
excel 2007
windows xp
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Re: coding in Cognos TM1

Post by rkaif »

TM1 does not uses and other external compiler like C++, Java or .NET programming. But it uses kind of same programming concepts like Funtions, Loops, IF condition etc.

All you need is to improve your skill as a TM1 Developer. You need to know how to write TI Process and write code in different tabs in a TI Process and how to write TM1 Rules.

Plus you will also need to have the multi-dimensional modeling skills so that you can design your own cubes.
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

The answer is much the same as the answers to your other posts that ask a similar question.
Martin Ryan wrote:To become skilled at TM1 there is no silver bullet
1) Read the manuals
2) Practise in real world situations. Build models, destroy them and start again. This is the single most important part. You cannot become good at TM1 without a lot of hands on experience.
3) Go on training sessions run by good IBM partners with at least five years experience with TM1 (not a Cognos crowd who have just picked up TM1).
4) Consult the FAQ post for a lot of common problems.
I'll add one more (that is already in the Request for Assistance Guidelines), ask specific questions in the forum rather than sweeping questions.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Solanna
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 to 10.2
Excel Version: 2007 - 2013

Post by Solanna »

Bravo Martin! Bravo!!!!

It amazes me how many people think they can be a TM1 expert with no experience
Granted viswaraju just wants to jump on the band wagon with everyone else but unfortunately for him he's going to be sitting in the dust

THIS TAKES YEARS PEOPLE!!!!
Unfortunately IBM Cognos has somehow given the impression that all you need to do is pass a TM1 developer certification and you are an expert
So it is really with them that I blame what has happened over the past couple of years
I also put blame on some of the IBM Cognos partners who aren't willing to develop their consultants
Again, it takes years to develop a good TM1 consultant and they better be mentored by someone who actually is an expert who has worked with the product for several years
But that costs money and most partners do not want to spend money on developing their consultants
It's all very short term thinking

As for your item #3... How true!

IMHO, here in the western U.S. the only decent IBM Partners with TM1 skills are the ones that were there before Cognos and I'm sure this is probably the majority of the cases worldwide

I find the whole situation viral since there seems to be so many bad implementations out there because of this lack of experience that it just ends up making the product look bad

Unfortunately I don't think the situation is going to improve any time soon :cry:

Solanna