Annoying Error Message Bug

George Regateiro
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Annoying Error Message Bug

Post by George Regateiro »

Could not see where this had been posted before in the old forum so I thought it might save some people time if they hit the error.

I am writing a TI and was doing a division and storing it to the cube. I forgot the basic rules of math and was dividing by zero. The problem was that when I ran the TI it kept telling me that the cell type was consolidated. After bashing my head for awhile I figured it out. Another case of a seemingly completely unrelated error message being generated. Knowing what it was I figured that I would get some sort of invalid type error or something along those lines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Annoying Error Message Bug

Post by Alan Kirk »

George Regateiro wrote:Could not see where this had been posted before in the old forum so I thought it might save some people time if they hit the error.

I am writing a TI and was doing a division and storing it to the cube. I forgot the basic rules of math and was dividing by zero. The problem was that when I ran the TI it kept telling me that the cell type was consolidated. After bashing my head for awhile I figured it out. Another case of a seemingly completely unrelated error message being generated. Knowing what it was I figured that I would get some sort of invalid type error or something along those lines.
Thanks George, it's always useful to add to the "errors I have seen" database.

I think that this one will be fairly rare since I suspect that most TI writers will use the \ operator rather than the / one, which of course yields 0 rather than an error in a divide by 0 situation. It may not be mathematically correct, but since neither TI nor rules have error handling as such it's certainly one of TM1's more useful little features.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Re: Annoying Error Message Bug

Post by George Regateiro »

Well I just learned yet another lesson on assuming. I have never worked in a language that implemented such a feature as the division by zero logic(at least that I know of). I never actually opened the Arithmetic Operators page in the help since I had yet to find a case where it was not what I expected it to be.

Thanks Alan