Using TM1 over VPN

rossi

Using TM1 over VPN

Post by rossi »

Anyone had any experience with improving performance of TM1 when connected by VPN with some suggestions?
Does tm1 connected over http help?
Any and all suggestions appreciated
thank you
Paolo
George Regateiro
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Re: Using TM1 over VPN

Post by George Regateiro »

VPN access for us has been incredibly slow through the client. All our users are web so luckily that is just as responsive as being connected in the office.

To get around the issue for our admins we have a virtual server on the network that we remote into and then we connect to the client from there.

Unfortunately over a standard vpn connection there is not a whole lot that you can do to improve the performance.
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Architect and Perspectives do not tolerate latency very well, so if your VPN concentrator is in a different city than your TM1 server you're going to get poor performance. Until recently our only concentrator was in San Francisco, and performance when I was VPNed in from my home in London to a TM1 server also in London was abysmal (I also used Remote Desktop as a workaround). However, once they got the London concentrator on-line, my performance improved substantially. I'd say it's only marginally slower now than when I'm in the office. We use Aventail.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

mattgoff wrote:recently our only concentrator was in San Francisco, and performance when I was VPNed in from my home in London e latency very well, so if your VPN concentrator is in a different city than your TM1 server you're going to get poor performance.
We are currenly using Cisco and the concentrator is about 20 feet away from the Tm1 server. Nothing we have tried has improved performance at all. So it is nice to see someone has had marginal success.
Martin Erlmoser
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express,..
Version: 9.1.4 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Erlmoser »

we also use tm1web or terminalservices instead of vpn because of the very poor performance.
tryinghard
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by tryinghard »

mattgoff wrote: However, once they got the London concentrator on-line, my performance improved substantially. I'd say it's only marginally slower now than when I'm in the office. We use Aventail.

Matt
Hi,

Can you please share some more details on this connector, is this a TM1 connector or a VPN connector and what are the setting? Apologies if it is a very lame question, I am new to both TM1 and VPN.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

We have VPN access slow also. We have got around this allowing access to a remote desktop for users that really need remote access,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

tryinghard wrote:Can you please share some more details on this connector, is this a TM1 connector or a VPN connector and what are the setting? Apologies if it is a very lame question, I am new to both TM1 and VPN.
My advice to you is to totally forget about trying to use a fat cllient (Architect or Persectives) running on your PC over a VPN connection. As stated before, TM1 is a very chatty client and does not handle latency well AT ALL. This is a well known fact and I have never heard of a single company using this method that is happy about the performance. If you have to use a VPN connection to access to TM1 then you should use TM1Web, or, if you need the fat client, use Terminal Services or Citrix to connect to a machine that is sitting on the same network segment as the TM1 server. This is the tried and true solution, trying anything else is just going to lead to heartache.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
tryinghard
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by tryinghard »

Thanks guys, I figured that the best approach is not to use VPN with thick client.