Feeders on consolidations

Guillaume Galtier
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Feeders on consolidations

Post by Guillaume Galtier »

Hello everybody,

I need some help about feeders, please ...

I've got a feeder on a consolidated element. So it feeds all components of my consolidation.

It seems that if I add an element to my consolidation, this new element is not fed until I restart the server, or at least until I open the rule and save it (without changes).
NB: the element added to the consolidation is a new element created into the dimension (not just a move) ...

Is it normal ??

Thanks in advance

Guillaume
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Feeders on consolidations

Post by jim wood »

Hello there,

Feeders are loaded when the server is started to try and improve performance. The only other way (As you said) to make sure the element is fed is to save the rule. The only way round this I know of is to try and alter your feeder to make sure it is not pointing a consolidation. I tend to try and avoid it. Basically feeding to a consolidation is a no go. (If you can avoid it.)

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Yes this is normal Guillame,
Feeders are static flags and are not "live" in the same way rules are and so won't keep up with dimension structure changes. So when you add the element to the consolidation nothing happends to re fire the feeders.
The only way round this is to re-save the rules that contain the feeder statement after you make the change to the dimension, or if you maintain the dimension with TI add a CubeProcessFeeders to the epilog.
HTH
Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Guillaume Galtier

I'm feeding the consolidation and not each element of the conso because this dimension is "living", and I don't want to modify my rule each time I insert an element to the consolidation.

Thanks for your quick reply Jim :)
Guillaume Galtier

Steve Rowe wrote:Yes this is normal Guillame,
Feeders are static flags and are not "live" in the same way rules are and so won't keep up with dimension structure changes. So when you add the element to the consolidation nothing happends to re fire the feeders.
The only way round this is to re-save the rules that contain the feeder statement after you make the change to the dimension, or if you maintain the dimension with TI add a CubeProcessFeeders to the epilog.
HTH
Steve

ok, that's what i feared :roll:

and thanks for the CubeProcessFeeders function, it will be very helpfull !

Thank you Steve !
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

My 2 cents.

Sometimes if feeders are being a pain you might need to confirm your cfg files has
AllowSeparateNandCRules=T
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Guillame
'm feeding the consolidation and not each element of the conso because this dimension is "living", and I don't want to modify my rule each time I insert an element to the consolidation.
The only reason that you would need to feed a consolidation is if you are feeding from a cube that has a higher level eg Product Categories in one cube down to Products in another cube so you feed from eg Product Category Pens to Total Pens in the Product dimension which is a consolidation of Bic, Parker 25, etc. Is that the case? If not then you should be able to feed from the base level eg Bic to Bic. Then, if you add another pen eg Papermate 27 then the feeder will still fire, as soon as data is loaded in to Papermate 27.

Apologies if you already know that.

Regards

Paul Simon