Excel workbook crashes TM1

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Excel workbook crashes TM1

Post by Martin Ryan »

What's the email address of Cognos support in the UK?

If anyone's got any ideas before I raise it with them: I've got a workbook that kills Excel when the TM1 add-in is loaded. Don't even have to be connected to TM1, just the add-in loaded. TM1 add in is 8.4.2. Excel is 2003 SP3. Nothing particularly exciting in the workbook, just a bunch of DBRW formulae and a few graphs.

As soon as I open the workbook (or open the add-in if I open the workbook first) Excel unceremoniously crashes. There are macros, but it dies even if they're disabled on load.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Excel workbook crashes TM1

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:What's the email address of Cognos support in the UK?

If anyone's got any ideas before I raise it with them: I've got a workbook that kills Excel when the TM1 add-in is loaded. Don't even have to be connected to TM1, just the add-in loaded. TM1 add in is 8.4.2. Excel is 2003 SP3. Nothing particularly exciting in the workbook, just a bunch of DBRW formulae and a few graphs.

As soon as I open the workbook (or open the add-in if I open the workbook first) Excel unceremoniously crashes. There are macros, but it dies even if they're disabled on load.
This sounds vaguely familiar; I can't remember if we had EXACTLY the same symptoms (I'll have to see whether I can dig out the relevant correspondence when I get in to the office; it was 3 or 4 years ago IIRC), but we did have a workbook which for some seemingly inexplicable reason kept crashing Excel with TM1 loaded, but only with TM1 loaded.

It turned out that it had somehow managed to grow an inexplicable number of hidden shape objects within the workbook and somehow, don't ask me how, this was causing the Excel session to crash when the TM1 add-in was loaded.

I'd suggest that you load the workbook without TM1 and run something like this:

Code: Select all

Sub ShapesCount()

Dim wks As Excel.Worksheet

For Each wks In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets

Debug.Print wks.Name & vbTab & wks.Shapes.Count

Next

Set wks = Nothing

End Sub
If you get some ridiculous 5 figure value on one of the sheets, odds are that's what's causing it and it's time for a slash & burn operation on those shapes. (Which you'll also have to do by code.)

Obscure and it may not even be the problem, but worth a shot.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

IT discovered that the workbook was corrupted. I didn't ask for the details. The user has created a new one instead, so all's well that end's well.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Everybody points the finger at TM1 because they have never had it before and it "seems" to crash excel more. What the average user never considers is that excel probably has more known bugs than any other software out there.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

A Microsoft product with BUGS! :shock: BLASPHEMY! They have never released a product with over a million know bugs... ohh wait........ :)
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Malcolm MacDonnell

Post by Malcolm MacDonnell »

A bit late on this thread, but I would have looked to see if someone had saved the workbook with automatic calculation.

In my experience 90% of the time a workbook with TM1 formulae crashes that's the cause.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Malcolm MacDonnell wrote:A bit late on this thread, but I would have looked to see if someone had saved the workbook with automatic calculation.

In my experience 90% of the time a workbook with TM1 formulae crashes that's the cause.
Yeah, I did check that, and also that the user could open the workbook if the TM1 add-in wasn't opened. Manual calculation made no difference and Excel only crashed when the add-in was present.

What was weird was that it stopped doing in the afternoon. Possibly because I tried doing it with Perspectives 9.1 then went back to 8.4. Possibly a switch got fixed by opening 9.1.

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:Everybody points the finger at TM1 because they have never had it before and it "seems" to crash excel more. What the average user never considers is that excel probably has more known bugs than any other software out there.
I'm guessing that you're not a regular user of Word then, Jim... 8^>
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Last time I looked most users don't use word as a TM1 front end. I do use it but nobody complains to me about it. :twisted:
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:Last time I looked most users don't use word as a TM1 front end. I do use it but nobody complains to me about it. :twisted:
For the sake of your sanity then, never, ever use an outline list that runs for more than 3 items in total. Actually 2 would be better. 1 is reasonably safe. On a good day. :x
-----------
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Web, now there is an up to date technology, one I can't use. My lovely IT department won't install the .net service pack required to run web as it is not part of the standard server build. To get it installed I will have to put together a benefits case etc... am I really that bothered??? No.
Shop at Amazon