Olivier
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Citrix Undefined Issue

Post by Olivier »

Hello Everybody,

We are experiencing a new issue related to Citrix.

None of our users opening excel templates througth Citrix were able to SEND data into Tm1 but all of them could READ. (ie a DBS formulas would show you the tm1 cube stored value but won't send anything).

I have tripple checked the Access rights definition and i am SURE this is not the issue.

I have taken few of my user by the hand througth the whole process, open citrix, login with nt login, open citrix tm1 client, log in as you, click open on top of your Citrix excel session and select the file to open from there, hit F9 what happen ??? Nothing ? What do you mean nothing ?
Then i did myself the operation and loged as admin on citrix... and ho surprise, all DBRW, DBR DBS,DBSW formulas would dysplay Values, but none of the writing formulas would send data.

Nothing has changed in our TM1 End neither in the excel templates used for this operation since last week where it was working.

We suspect that some IT people could have change a setting in the Citrix server.
But how to explain it half work now ? (Read and not Write).

Would you think to any thing to look at in particular ?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Citrix Undefined Issue

Post by jim wood »

I would suggest looking at the citrix security settings. It sounds like (for what ever reason) that write back via your citrix pipe has been disabled,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

Thanks Jim,

We are already looking at any changes that has occured on the citrix server settings.

I ll update the post once we find out what hapenned.

Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

does the same Excel file work without using Citrix? Would at least ensure your issue is with Citrix and not Excel. I find it hard to believe that its Citrix causing the issue...

I have had issues where some VBA worked but not via Citrix, that turned out to be someone using a library in the VBA that wasn't available on the Citrix server. But if all you do is F9 that kind of issue shouldn't arise either.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

Hi Guys,

I have done few complementary tests regarding our Citrix Issue. (Sorry but i like to call it Citrix Issue untill it's proven it's a TM1 issue .))

The same Worksheet refreshed throught the TM1 Client perspective, on a local machine, using the same user login, is working fine.

There is no VBA at all in the template,
One of the file used is only composed of 6 DBS Formulas and their references to dimensions element.
All the user has to do is update is figure in sheet 1 adn press F9 in sheet 2.
The worksheets used to work untill one week ago when it started to failed to send data througth DBS.
(Reason why we are looking at the Citrix direction...).

We did some more testing today on the Citrix Client and
we found out that it was possible to send data if we are using both DBSW or DBRW instead of DBS Formulas.
Only the DBS Wouldn't send data ! ( But does from the classic client on local machine so it's not a formula syntax issue).

It doesn't really make sense...

Do you already have any issue that prevent DBS to send data but that doesn't impact DBRW or DBSW formulas ?

Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

I have this bad feeling that nobody has encounter this issue before .)

Jim,
when you talk about checking the security settings of Citrix,
which settings are you talking about ?

We asked IT if anything has been changed in the Citrix configuration lately,
their answer was that nothing has changed, and then, nothing has changed that would impact TM1...
After asking the question few more times,
we learnt that a new farm has been set up but they reckon that it shouldn't impact our Citrix box settings...

But even then, i don't have a clear overview of the security settings on Citrix.

If you could orientate me a bit further on what to check on Citrix,
it would be grantly appreciated !

I need to go to the bottom of that as we need to understand what could suddently prevent one type of formula to work properly...

Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Hi Olivier,

Unfortunatley I am no Citirx expert. I am aware that there are security settings that control how applications interact with the user desktop but I'm not sure exactly where to find them. Maybe we have a citrix expert out ther that can help?

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

Hi all,

I had a look over the internet in the Citrix ressources,
I have read some scary posts about some unexpected behaviour of excel vs Citrix depending of the patch level applied on both office and Citrix...
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?th ... 6&tstart=0
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?th ... 5&tstart=0

Other post mentioned that creating a new farm has impacted the original server and applications links...
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?th ... 9&tstart=0

I am not a Citrix expert neither so i am not really aware on how to audit properly the security in there...

So i can only sum up the situation as :
- DBS Templates were working untill week N
- Nothing has changed in the TM1 settings / security / read write access definitions
- DBS won't work from Citrix anymore from Week N+1, but DBSW, DBRW do still send data to Tm1 cubes...

Something must have changed in Citrix... ? ;)

If someone have some knowledge about Citrix administration / audit...
Please share ! :idea:

Kind Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
Malcolm MacDonnell

Post by Malcolm MacDonnell »

As DBS's are not as fast as DBRW etc., maybe you are getting some sort of timeout issues? It might actually be due to the connection of the Citrix Server?
Olivier
Community Contributor

Post by Olivier »

In fact i have to precise, that our DBS formulas are in fact doing exactly what a dbr would have done,
Showing the value sitting on the server but without doing any update.

So if in the server value = 10, in the DBS Value to send = 15, the DBS display 10 after refresh instead of the expected 15.

That make the issue even more difficult to determine.
DBS is Reading Data and doesn't send.
DBSW send Data to the cube and refresh properly.
DBRW (with applying changes in formula) is able to send an inputed data in the cube.
DBR read values in the cube.

So basicaly my issue is now limited to a malfunction in DBS formulas only.

Thanks for any idea !

Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

Double check your transaction log. I have seen circular references causing the load of the desired value and then loading the original value. Making it appear nothing is happening.
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

How are you refreshing the sheet? If the refresh is not calling the tm1recalc macro for some reason then the DBRW part might still work, but the DBS might fail. Try recording a macro then hit shift+f9 on the offending sheet, then stop recording. Check the VBA code recorded. Make sure that it is Application.Run "TM1RECALC1". If it's something like activesheet.calculate then for some reason the TM1 add-in isn't doing it's thing.

I guess it's also possible that an auto-recalc might only do the DBRW instead of the DBS. I know that hitting F2 then enter on a DBS will retrieve the current value rather than sending the new one (because F2 isn't overriden in the TM1 add-in I guess).

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer