Migration Tools for TM1

surja
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007

Migration Tools for TM1

Post by surja »

Anybody know whether IBM Cognos provides migration tools for converting PowerPlay Cubes (Transformer models) into TM1 Cubes?
And whether PowerPlay Studio (inside Cognos 8 BI) provides connection to TM1 cubes?

Basically I am trying to get rid of PowerPlay cubes and replacing them with TM1 cubes with minimum efforts.

Thank you.
Marcus Scherer
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Migration Tools for TM1

Post by Marcus Scherer »

You need Cognos 8.4 BI to connect to existing TM1 cubes. In Framework Manager 8.4 you can select TM1 as a data source and create a package. Make sure to set the measure dimension before in TM1. Then you may use Analysis Studio or Report Studio to create ad hoc- or standard reports.

I don't know if there is a conversion/migration tool from Power Cubes to TM1. If you have a clean model in your relational database underlying your PowerCubes it should be usable for TM1 cubes as well.

Kind regards,

Marcus
surja

Post by surja »

Thanks, Marcus.

Sorry, I missed the tricky part in my first post. The underlying sources for Transformer came from Impromptu Query Definition files (IQDs). Is there a way to convert the IQD and the PYI models directly into TM1 models?

Regards,
Surja
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

There isn't.
IBM/Cognos have provided remarkably few integration tools between TM1 and the other Cognos products. Old TM1 hands have got used to doing this 'from scratch' and if you know what you are doing, it's not that tough, but I do agree, conversion tools would be very useful. I think the fun will really start when people want to migrate production Cognos Planning models to the successor product, which is intended to combine the best of the EP frontend and workflow (yes, please!) with the TM1 engine, and will likely find that the migration tools either aren't there or don't cope with their customisation.
surja

Post by surja »

Thanks for the answer, David.
Regarding migration tools for Cognos Planning, that would be my next question :). Judging from your explanation, I assume there also isn't any.
I hope IBM Cognos will quickly come out with the solution. These are within Cognos family of products, so I would say it's a logical move; never mind about migration tools for competitors solution.
khandelwalrahul2020
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by khandelwalrahul2020 »

Hi,

Is there any new update on this thread?
Do we have any new workaround to migrate Transformer cubes into Tm1 Cubes.
Please reply.

Thanks,
Rahul Khandelwal