Referring to a Dimension Name with brackets

TheMichael

Referring to a Dimension Name with brackets

Post by TheMichael »

If you have a dimension with brackets in it's name, say "Dim1 (Brand)" for example, how to you specify the dimension in a function as:

=N: DB("Cube1",!Dim1(Brand), ...)

You get an error if you try to do it as above. Putting quotations in won't work either. Has anybody encountered this before ?
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Referring to a Dimension Name with brackets

Post by Steve Rowe »

I'm guessing you can't, it's normal to avoid these kind of chracters when naming objects...My only guess would have been single quotes, if you've tried that then I can't help, not that means that there isn't answer (other than change the name of dimension and rebuild the cube!)
Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

TheMichael wrote:If you have a dimension with brackets in it's name, say "Dim1 (Brand)" for example, how to you specify the dimension in a function as:

=N: DB("Cube1",!Dim1(Brand), ...)

You get an error if you try to do it as above. Putting quotations in won't work either. Has anybody encountered this before ?
Yup, I thought that this one sounded familiar. Time for a dimension name change I'm afraid. See:
http://applixforum.olapforums.com/viewP ... adID=12074

and

http://applixforum.olapforums.com/viewP ... adID=16870
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Phil Maynard

Post by Phil Maynard »

There is the concept of putting an alias on a dimension. Never tried it but it might work. Right click on Dimension> Edit Attributes and proceed as usual.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Phil Maynard wrote:There is the concept of putting an alias on a dimension. Never tried it but it might work. Right click on Dimension> Edit Attributes and proceed as usual.
Exercise care in attempting this; as per the links in my previous post, this has the potential to cause a server crash.

Admin Note: Certain post exchanges have been deleted from this thread for the sake of the tone of the Forum.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
TheMichael

Post by TheMichael »

Luckily it's still early in the development phase, so rebuilding is still an option.

Thanks for the help!