Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Missing object access after copy from Prod to Dev

Post by Rtel »

Hi there,

I have system A that have:
1) TM1 native login in Prod
2) Cognos authentication method in Dev

(I have access to Prod and Dev both as a user not admin)

Once system A is copied (by network engineer) from prod to Dev (keeping original Tm1.cfg file in Dev) and when I log back in to the System A, there is no objects available (no cubes, dim, Process etc)

Surprisingly there is another system B in dev. No changes were made to it and I lost access to all the objects in System B as well.

Any suggestions as what are we missing.

Thanks

Rtel.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Missing object access after copy from Prod to Dev

Post by Steve Rowe »

Sounds to me like the cfg is pointing to an empty folder so it has created the initial starting objects.

Best guess is that your network engineer has not correctly copied the files to the correct location.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Rtel

Post by Rtel »

HI Steve, thanks for your response.

I checked and the folder path is correct pointing to all data files. Also i am not able to create any new cubes since that option is disabled.

I am thinking I may have to change Cognos LDAP authentication on Dev to Native TM1 and add users appropriately and change back to Cognos LDAP login.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Rtel
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Rtel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm I have system A that have:
1) TM1 native login in Prod
2) Cognos authentication method in Dev
Given these facts, I don't see how you can expect to copy from Prod to Dev and have it work UNLESS you specifically EXCLUDE the }Clients dimension and the }ClientGroups cube because the clients in a native TM1 system are not going to be the same as clients created in CAM.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Rtel

Post by Rtel »

Hi Tomok, thanks for the reply.

In such case, if we delete }Client dimension and }ClientGroups cube from existing data directory and restart the server , will these 2 objects be recreated ? or what should be the approach.

Thanks

Rtel
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

I didn't say DELETE them. I said EXCLUDE them from the copy so that those two objects on dev will not be touched during the copy down. You can't copy prod client to dev because you're using native TM1 for one and CAM for the other. Leave the CAM users alone and it should work fine, although you may need to make some group assignments changes for those CAM users if you've added groups in prod that didn't previously exist in dev.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Rtel

Post by Rtel »

Hi, I tried copying the files as suggested but server is not starting at all. I reversed the files and server still can not start

I am puzzled.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

I think it might be quite helpful if you have a play around with 1 or 2 local installations on an environment you control (like your own laptop with the sample databases). Then you can get a handle on how the file system objects relate to what you see in server explorer and likewise understand what control objects are a pre-requisite and get automatically created and which don't, and then finally which files need to be copied from one data directory to another to successfully create objects in TM1.

Only after you have this understanding will you be in a position to be able to prepare packages on a server in order to perform migrations.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Rtel

Post by Rtel »

Hello all, after some experiments I found the answer'

Issue 2 different kind of authentication method on 2 diff environments

Solution
1) Copying files from Prod (with TM1 native login) to Dev --Keep TM1.cfg from Dev
2) Change original Config file on Dev to set up TM1 native login (IntegratedSecurityMode=1 ) Comment out ServerCAMURI and
ClientCAMURI
3) Start the server and login with Native TM1 Admin credentials
4) Open client security and check the boxes to grant the ADMIN access for LDAP Cognos user
5) Shut down server ...change config file to LDAP authentication
6) The LDAP user now have access to all the objects ..and he/she can add more user in LDAP

Thanks

Rtel