Upgrade PAW from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6

Paul-TM1
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Upgrade PAW from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi,
I am planning Upgrading PAW from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 on windows 2016 server.
Is it as simple as creating a new folder and start the install keeping docker the same version or Should I delete the previous install folder? I do not see a service to uninstall. Can Docker remain the same?
Please share your experiences. I have had enough troubles installing and want this upgrade to be as smooth.

Thanks,
Paul.
Paul-TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Upgrade PAW from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi All,
Found something from IBM link, but your inputs will be very useful.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... grade.html.

Upgrade might be similar.

Thanks,
Paul.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

I have something to share on this finally.

I had a nice working version 30 and thought I should upgrade to version 39 to take advantage of the bugs fixes and enhancements.
Keep in mind that this is on a dev environment and I did not bother with backing up or restoring and of the cruft I had put together.

I started with copying over the contents of the 2.0.39 tar file to my C: drive (only one drive on my Windows 2016 VM). This yielded C:\PAW 2.0.39 with all the relevant folder and files as expected.

I ran the .\paw.ps1 stop from the services folder of the old version i.e. C:\PAW 2.0.30\services. Services seemed to stop.

Next I ran the .\Start.ps1 from C:\PAW 2.0.39 and entered Y to do the upgrade. After a while I entered Y to starting the Admin server.
Low and behold, the admin web page opened with my previous settings which I validated and updated.
I headed to the Services tab after the refresh and services seemed to be working.

I keyed in the URL for the PAW login and smiled as the page rendered and I could login.

I then thought I should go and run the clean script as my 120Gb drive now had about 5Gb free as I guessed at least two copied of the PAW VMs now resided in docker's windowsfilters folder. A good pruning would help.

Ran the clean.ps1 from the old C:\PAW 2.0.30 folder and it all went to pot! Various error messages relating to containers or images that could not be deleted. I tried again but to no avail. I had some disk space back but not enough.
Like all IT people would recommend, I went with a reboot and tried again, no luck. I figured I will live with it even though low on disk space.

I then fired up my Admintool for version 39 and noticed that for many services I now had duplicate entries and could no longer log in to PAW. This is where the panic really set in - my nice VM was a virtual paperweight.

So after toasting numerous VMs last year doing similar loads, IP changes etc. etc. I thought I would give things another go to try resolve.
My logic told me to try and roll back to a point where no services for either version existed and then load version 2.0.39 from scratch.

So my approach was probably a sledgehammer approach but without having enough technical knowledge this was the only tool in my belt.

First thing I did was to list all the Docker images PS> docker images -a
Without enough knowledge on how to script this, I painstakingly ran PS> docker rmi -f <image id>

Ok, so now the images were gone and I had to cleanup the Docker ProgramDat folder.
I stopped the Docker Service so that I could purge the ProgramData.
I downloaded docker-ci-zap and ran PS>dcoker-ci-zap -folder C:\ProgramData\Docker
Once it completed the Docker folder was gone and my drive space was back.

I set about running .\Start.ps1 - settings were remembered as these reside in the C:\PAW 2.0.39 folders
After validation, the services (only one copy of each!) showed and were running!!
I could then log into PAW via the server's IP address.

What should have been a straight-forward upgrade seemed to have gone to hell. It is possible that I missed something but cannot see what as I followed the guidelines referenced earlier in this thread.

Would be happy to hear from anyone as to what I did wrong so that others can benefit from my misfortune.
I also hope the above will come in handy should anyone else suffer the same fate.

So Paul, as to whether or not the upgrade is simple, you decide. Good luck, you may need it!
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by PlanningDev »

Its hard to say exactly but heres what I would do roughly

1. Run backup script from scripts directory to create zip backup of PAW content stores
2. Backup paw.env file
3. Stop paw services from stop script
3. Run clean script
4. Copy paw.env file back to configuration folder of new install
5. run start from NEW PAW folder
6. run restore from your backup created earlier

I realize it does say that running the clean script should only delete containers related to THAT version but it seems dangerous to me.

Basically, to be safe you should run the backup script and get a copy of your paw.env file and certs directory before you perform maintenance.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

PlanningDev wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 pm Its hard to say exactly but heres what I would do roughly

1. Run backup script from scripts directory to create zip backup of PAW content stores
2. Backup paw.env file
3. Stop paw services from stop script
3. Run clean script
4. Copy paw.env file back to configuration folder of new install
5. run start from NEW PAW folder
6. run restore from your backup created earlier

I realize it does say that running the clean script should only delete containers related to THAT version but it seems dangerous to me.

Basically, to be safe you should run the backup script and get a copy of your paw.env file and certs directory before you perform maintenance.
I decided to update my VM to PAL 2.0.7 and PAW to 2.0.41. PAL worked as expected, wheels fell off again on PAW upgrade.
Based on the feedback above, I thought I would try the steps which are also outlined here.
I created my backup, copied my paw.ps1 from the config folder.

After stopping PAW services (scripts\paw.ps1 stop), I ran clean.ps1 which listed various services but 0 bytes reclaimed.
All images still present in docker and in the \programdata\docker\windowsfilter folder (all 50Gb of it)

I then copied over the PAW 2.0.41 folder and added my paw.ps1 file to the config folder.
I started the upgrade by running Start.ps1 and answered y to Install/Update the docker images.
After a while I was prompted to start the Admin tool which I did - then nothing - left it for 30 minutes, no failure, no transfer to the web page.

Figured a therapeutic reboot may help so shutdown, restarted, waited for all windows services to settle in then tried the admin tool again - same issue.

Ran "scripts\paw.ps1 ps" to see what was happening - only a couple of services showing up.

After a long sigh, I went down the road of stopping everything, running docker-ci-zap and then doing a "fresh" install of PAW 2.0.41.
This seemed to work. Will try the restore of my backup at some point.

I would really love to know what I am doing wrong as it only seems to be me having these upgrade issues and I cannot believe I am the only one upgrading. I can however believe that I may be missing something.

Please let me know if you can spot the error of my ways - appreciate any feedback.