Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

HierarchySubsetElementDelete odd behavior

Post by PavoGa »

Have the following subset with hundreds of elements:
All Accounts
100-100-100
200-100-101

This code fails with "Unable to delete element at position "0" from dimension:subset":

Code: Select all

sMDX = EXPAND('UNION({[%dimAccountsMaster%].[%hierAccountsForecast%].currentmember}, TM1FILTERBYLEVEL(TM1SUBSETALL([%dimAccountsMaster%].[%hierAccountsForecast%]), 0), ALL)');
    HierarchySubsetCreate(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast);
    HierarchySubsetMDXSet(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, sMDX);
    HierarchySubsetElementDelete(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, 1);
However do this (note the two extra lines after HierarchySubsetMDXSet) and it works like a charm:

sMDX = EXPAND('UNION({[%dimAccountsMaster%].[%hierAccountsForecast%].currentmember}, TM1FILTERBYLEVEL(TM1SUBSETALL([%dimAccountsMaster%].[%hierAccountsForecast%]), 0), ALL)');
    HierarchySubsetCreate(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast);
    HierarchySubsetMDXSet(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, sMDX);
    sFirstElement = HierarchySubsetGetElementName(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, 1);
    nFirstElementIndex = HierarchySubsetElementGetIndex(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, sFirstElement, 1);
    HierarchySubsetElementDelete(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, 1);
Is it just me or does it seem there is a lot of quirkiness with the Hierarchy functions? I'not saying I'd be fine with it, but if the documentation said "HEY! Run these two seemingly unrelated functions before executing HierarchySubsetElementDelete!" I would at least think it was planned that way, kind of like certain datasource functions go together. But without that, this is just nuts and time consuming the figure out the right combination of functions to run to get some functions to work. See my post on MDX subsets and assigning a caption to a hierarchy for another example.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
PavoGa
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Re: HierarchySubsetElementDelete odd behavior

Post by PavoGa »

By the way, HierarchySubsetElementDelete does work with this:

nFirstElementIndex = HierarchySubsetElementGetIndex(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, 'Georgia Bulldogs', 1);

Not tested, but I have serious doubts about this code:

nFirstElementIndex = HierarchySubsetElementGetIndex(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, 'Florida Gators', 1);
Go Dawgs.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

PavoGa wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:45 pm Have the following subset with hundreds of elements:
All Accounts
100-100-100
200-100-101

This code fails with "Unable to delete element at position "0" from dimension:subset":

However do this (note the two extra lines after HierarchySubsetMDXSet) and it works like a charm:

sFirstElement = HierarchySubsetGetElementName(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, 1);
    nFirstElementIndex = HierarchySubsetElementGetIndex(dimAccountsMaster, hierAccountsForecast, subAccountsForecast, sFirstElement, 1);
Is it just me or does it seem there is a lot of quirkiness with the Hierarchy functions? I'not saying I'd be fine with it, but if the documentation said "HEY! Run these two seemingly unrelated functions before executing HierarchySubsetElementDelete!" I would at least think it was planned that way, kind of like certain datasource functions go together. But without that, this is just nuts and time consuming the figure out the right combination of functions to run to get some functions to work. See my post on MDX subsets and assigning a caption to a hierarchy for another example.
Hi PavoGa,

My guess would be that the HierarchySubsetCreate and HierarchySubsetMDXSet functions will define the subset (as an MDX expression), but do not yet execute the MDX expression (so do not yet generate the list of elements). Retrieving an element through f.i. HierarchySubsetGetElementName actually executes the MDX expression and generates the list of elements. After that the element with index 1 is known...

Michel
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

I haven't tried it but RefreshMdxHierarchy(dimensionName, hierarchy) might be an alternative. I suspect that what Michel says is right. The two statements that you have added force the MDX to be evaluated to populate the subset. We used to have to put in an RefreshMDXHierarchy(Dim) to get BI Reports to work properly. I note that they have now added an optional hierarchy parameter to this function so you can limit the scope of this to a single Hierarchy within the dimension.

It does seem a little odd that there is no Hierarchy equivalent of the SubsetCreateByMDX function. I suspect that for a normal dimension this both creates the subset and evaluates the MDX to populate it.

I can see where Steve is coming from when he says that it is best to just think of hierarchies and not to distinguish between the main dimension hierarchy and other hierarchies. However, it does appear that in reality that both exist, eg there are physically separate file objects, and separate TI functions.

Regards

Paul Simon
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Don't forget that with the old style functions dimname:hiername is supported in the dimension name position, though I've not checked with this specific function.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk