jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Service Strange Behaviour

Post by jim wood »

Guys,

I've never seen this before. I have a simple service with 2 cubes and a bunch of processes. When the service starts no processes are being loaded in to memory yet the }processes dimension has been updated. When I try to update the a rule for one of the cubes it fails to save rule.

Now straight away I thought security. I checked and the service is running with local system account and the system account has full access to the data directory. I also checked to see if any of the files were flagged as read only and they weren't. This is just bizarre. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated,

Jim.

Version: 10.2.2 FP6
Server: Server 2012 R2
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Re: Service Strange Behaviour

Post by lotsaram »

I don't really get what you mean. When an instance starts the }chores, }cubes, }dimensions, }processes (& }applicationentries) dimensions are all updated based on the file contents of the data directory.
So when you say
jim wood wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 pm When the service starts no processes are being loaded in to memory yet the }processes dimension has been updated.
what do you mean exactly? It's normal that the }processes dimension is updated. It happens every time the instance starts, not just when a process is added or deleted.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

lotsaram wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm I don't really get what you mean. When an instance starts the }chores, }cubes, }dimensions, }processes (& }applicationentries) dimensions are all updated based on the file contents of the data directory.
So when you say
jim wood wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 pm When the service starts no processes are being loaded in to memory yet the }processes dimension has been updated.
what do you mean exactly? It's normal that the }processes dimension is updated. It happens every time the instance starts, not just when a process is added or deleted.
I imagine that he means that no processes are shown under the Processes list?

But if so, that raises the question "In which client?"

Please, please tell me that the abomination named "Performance Muddler" is not involved in this, because it wouldn't take the detection powers of DCI Barnaby to figure where the problem is likely to lie then.

If it's Perspectives, is the "Processes" option checked on the View menu for that server? Can you create a new process?

If the answers are Yes and Yes, my next thought would turn to where these processes were created. They aren't perchance PA2 processes brought back to 10.2.2 are they? I haven't updated my notes about .pro structures in PA2 vs 10.2.2 but incompatibility is a possibility, though if that were the case I'd expect a flood of errors in the server log to have been written during startup. Maybe.

Similarly with the rule that won't save; which client? .xru, rules editor, third party, please gods not Performance Muddler?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Alan,

You're right no processes show up in performance muddler.... I mean perspectives. Frankly I'm almost insulted that you'd think I'd even have it installed never mind use it!!! Thank fully it's good old perspectives. My colleague got it working after I left. I'll find out what the issue was once he's in. Everything was created in 10.2.2. The only thing I do was rename the files in windows explorer, but that should cause any issue?

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

lotsaram wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm I don't really get what you mean. When an instance starts the }chores, }cubes, }dimensions, }processes (& }applicationentries) dimensions are all updated based on the file contents of the data directory.
So when you say
It looks like (based on reading the log files) that the }processes dimension reads the pro files in the directory rather than what's loaded in to memory. The server log doesn't mention any processes being loaded at all. As I said in my last post my colleague got it working so once I speak to him I'll post what he did. Hopefully that will also tell us why it happened.
Shop at Amazon
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Finally found out. It was nothing to do with whether or not the processes were loaded in to memory. They were. The issue was to do with CAM and security. We think the groups dimension had become corrupted. When logging in we were not assigned to any group so we could not see anything or save anything, hence the rule failed to save. Once the security control cubes were replaced and the service was restarted everything came back.
Shop at Amazon