Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

Configuration Directoy

Post by kenship »

Hi all,

I'm running 10.2.
We have 2 instances on the same server. One called "Budget", and the other one called "BudgetTrain".

I have cleaned up the data files in "BudgetTrain" (e:\data\budgettrain\cxmd). Then I realize in the "Budget" instance a long list of messages were found, after analyzing it I realize one line saying:

"392 [] INFO...TM1.Server Configuration Directory: e:\data\budgettrain\cxmd"

which is not right because it should be in e:\data\budget\cxmd.

We checked the configuration file but couldn't find any mentioning of "Configuration Directory".

So I wonder how the line comes about and where should I go to fix it.

Thanks a lot!

Kenneth
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Configuration Directoy

Post by tomok »

Just for giggles I Googled "TM1 Configuration Directory". Lo and behold the first entry in the search list answers your question. People are so helpless these days.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Mind to share what you have because I did spend an hour to research here and Google and the results are not helpful.

The closest I got was:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... 5038e.html

This is not something specified in tm1 configuration file.
tomok wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 pm Just for giggles I Googled "TM1 Configuration Directory". Lo and behold the first entry in the search list answers your question. People are so helpless these days.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

kenship wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 pm Mind to share what you have because I did spend an hour to research here and Google and the results are not helpful.

The closest I got was:

tomok wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 pm Just for giggles I Googled "TM1 Configuration Directory". Lo and behold the first entry in the search list answers your question. People are so helpless these days.
I suggest reading that page again more carefully; it is the one that you want.

You're thinking of the database directory. That's the directory in which the database files for that server are kept, and it is defined in the tm1s.cfg file. (Specifically, in the DataBaseDirectory parameter.)

But the question is... how does the TM1 server know where the tm1s.cfg file is to begin with? That is the Configuration Directory and it need not be the same as the Database directory.

In the pre-10.x days, it would be defined in one of two ways. Either:
- The server's service was created during the installation process and you specified it there; OR
- When you ran the command line to install a new TM1 server service, you specified it on the command line using the -Z parameter.

In more modern installations it is defined through the Cognos Configuration app, as discussed in the page that you pointed to.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Thanks for the reply.

What's astonishing for me is how we got there, I mean, pointing to another directory that is created years later.

Unfortunately I have no access to Cognos Configuration. Hopefully our back end will take care of this.

Thanks for the advice.

Kenneth

Alan Kirk wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 pm
kenship wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 pm Mind to share what you have because I did spend an hour to research here and Google and the results are not helpful.

The closest I got was:

I suggest reading that page again more carefully; it is the one that you want.

You're thinking of the database directory. That's the directory in which the database files for that server are kept, and it is defined in the tm1s.cfg file. (Specifically, in the DataBaseDirectory parameter.)

But the question is... how does the TM1 server know where the tm1s.cfg file is to begin with? That is the Configuration Directory and it need not be the same as the Database directory.

In the pre-10.x days, it would be defined in one of two ways. Either:
- The server's service was created during the installation process and you specified it there; OR
- When you ran the command line to install a new TM1 server service, you specified it on the command line using the -Z parameter.

In more modern installations it is defined through the Cognos Configuration app, as discussed in the page that you pointed to.