Issue with feeders

GeorgeB
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1 / PA
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Issue with feeders

Post by GeorgeB »

I'm currently having an issue with feeders that I can't explain - my only resolution so far is to turn SKIPCHECK off (behaviour as expected), however I believe this isn't ideal performance-wise.

I have a nodal intersection:

The rule for 'Butt Equivalents' is:
['Butt Equivalents']=N:
If ( !SCM Cask Size @= 'HHD', 0.5, 1 ) * ['Physical Casks'];

Since !SCM Cask Size @= 'Butt', 'Butt Equivalents' = 'Physical Casks' in this case.

The associated feeder is:
['Physical Casks']=>['Butt Equivalents'];

As we can see, 'Butt Equivalents' is not being fed, and this is confirmed when I 'Check Feeders'.

I have used CubeProcessFeeders() to no avail.

The behaviour that 'Butt Equivalents' is still showing despite zero suppression on both rows and columns, I think, is due to PersistentFeeders=T at some point - this is now PersistentFeeders=F, all associated feeder files have been deleted and the service has been restarted since, but this isn't my main issue.

My question to you guys is whether or not I'm being stupid here and missing something obvious, or if there is something going on behind the scenes I'm not aware of.

Thanks for any advice!

George
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Issue with feeders

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hi George,

At first sight this should just work.

Did you do ‘Trace feeders’ starting in the white cell ?

Do you have a rule at C level to overwrite the top right cell to 0 ?

Do you have a Feeders section ?

BTW, I don’t understand this part: ‘Since !SCM Cask Size @= 'Butt', 'Butt Equivalents' = 'Physical Casks' in this case.’
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
GeorgeB

Post by GeorgeB »

Thanks for the reply, Wim.
Did you do ‘Trace feeders’ starting in the white cell ?
I did trace feeders, the white cell is feeding several unrelated cells in a different cube but no cells within the same cube.
Do you have a rule at C level to overwrite the top right cell to 0 ?
I do not.
Do you have a Feeders section ?
I do, and the other feeders are working as expected.
BTW, I don’t understand this part: ‘Since !SCM Cask Size @= 'Butt', 'Butt Equivalents' = 'Physical Casks' in this case.’
This was only justification as to the result of the calculation under 'Butt Equivalents' - information only.

Thanks,
George
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

I think there used to sometimes be an issue if the time stamp on the blb? generated by the advanced rules editor came out of sync with the rux file. It’s been ages since I have seen it so it’s a long shot but I do think I saw it on site with you guys so might be worth a look.
Declan Rodger
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Also agree this should be working.
Maybe do a rule trace on the zero consolidation and just check that there is no rule applying?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
GeorgeB

Post by GeorgeB »

Thanks for your replies, Declan and Steve.
by declanr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:22 pm

I think there used to sometimes be an issue if the time stamp on the blb? generated by the advanced rules editor came out of sync with the rux file. It’s been ages since I have seen it so it’s a long shot but I do think I saw it on site with you guys so might be worth a look.
The .blb and .rux files are in sync in this case - none of our developers are using the advanced rules editor as we we aware of the potential sync issues.
by Steve Rowe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am

Also agree this should be working.
Maybe do a rule trace on the zero consolidation and just check that there is no rule applying?
The calculation on the zero consolidation is just "Consolidated: 0" - standard behaviour when no rule applies and the cells below it aren't fed.
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Two suggestions:
  • Stop server, delete .feeders files (if you use persistent feeders), restart server. Even if you're not using persistent feeders I've seen this resolve weird rule anomalies.
  • Post or attach complete rule file, not an excerpt, which can help us rule out a problem elsewhere that's killing compile before it gets to the feeder.
Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
jcr55
Version: 9.5.2 FP2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by jcr55 »

mattgoff wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm Two suggestions:
  • Stop server, delete .feeders files (if you use persistent feeders), restart server. Even if you're not using persistent feeders I've seen this resolve weird rule anomalies.
  • Post or attach complete rule file, not an excerpt, which can help us rule out a problem elsewhere that's killing compile before it gets to the feeder.
Matt
While the server is down, you could also delete the cube rule .blb file, just in case the .blb and .RUX files are not in sync.
Then when viewing the cube rule via Architect, you will ensure you are looking at the current rules.