Planning Analytics 2 - Can Pax & Perspectives Co-exist?

chewza
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 7

Planning Analytics 2 - Can Pax & Perspectives Co-exist?

Post by chewza »

Hi there

We want to convert some users to Pax, but we want them to have continued access to Perspectives until we are satisfied that all reports are working properly and all users are comfortable with Pax.

I've heard that Perspectives & Pax cannot co-exist? Is there no way around this? Eg enable,/disable add-ins ??
If they indeed cannot co-exist, it makes the migration strategy a bit tricky.

Many thanks in advance!!

Regards
Chris
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Planning Analytics 2 - Can Pax & Perspectives Co-exist?

Post by lotsaram »

Perspectives & PAX can be co-installed just fine. However they cannot both be loaded in the same Excel session. That is one or the other add-in must be deactivated if you wish to use the other.

I can certainly understand that from IBM's perspective it is just easier to have a blanket statement that they can't co-exist since otherwise it is a support nightmare as for most users activating/deactivating add-ins is a step beyond their comfort zone. (And indeed it isn't that straightforward since Perspectives is a traditional office add-in and PAX is a COM add-in so you need to switch each off/on via a different path). But if you know what you're doing with Excel it's not a problem.

Just a case of "not officially supported" != "doesn't work"
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

Just a case of "not officially supported" != "doesn't work"
:D
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
mvaspal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10 2 2 - 2.0.5
Excel Version: From 2007 to 2013

Post by mvaspal »

I haven't tried it for a while, definitely not in the PA world, but if I remember well, in 10.2.2 we could load CAFE and Perspectives at the same time to Excel, the limitation is that in CAFE you cannot use the add-in that enables the worksheet functions because worksheet functions can be enabled only in one of the 2 addins at the same time