Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Chores Editing TM1 Client Issues

Post by Olivier »

Hello,

We are using TM1 9.1 Update 2 SP 3.
We just noticed a strange behaviour of our admin group Tm1 clients installed on 3 different pcs regarding chore editing.

On computer 1 :
It's possible to edit the chores :
the Chore could be activated or disactivated
The chore settings could be change ( Processes involved and order in the chore)
But When the time is set up and saved, when you save you modifications and come back into this chore nand check the time again,you would find that it has become ( defined Time - 1 Hour) !!!

On computer 2 and 3 :
BUT if you Activate/Unactivate the Chore
It would crash the client each time
The change of status ( Active / Not Active) is properly saved even if the client crashed at the same time.

Conclusion at this step, we have to think at which computer to use to define Time for a chore and to activate un activate one.

Has anyone had any issue related to chore editing ?

Thanks for any advice,

Regards,

Olivier
HTH
Olivier
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Chores Editing TM1 Client Issues

Post by Alan Kirk »

Olivier wrote:Hello,

We are using TM1 9.1 Update 2 SP 3.
We just noticed a strange behaviour of our admin group Tm1 clients installed on 3 different pcs regarding chore editing.

On computer 1 :
the Chore could be activated or disactivated
The chore settings could be change ( Processes involved and order in the chore)
But When the time is set up and saved, when you save you modifications and come back into this chore nand check the time again,you would find that it has become ( defined Time - 1 Hour) !!!

On computer 2 and 3 :
BUT if you Activate/Unactivate the Chore
It would crash the client each time
The change of status ( Active / Not Active) is properly saved even if the client crashed at the same time.

Conclusion at this step, we have to think at which computer to use to define Time for a chore and to activate un activate one.

Has anyone had any issue related to chore editing ?

Thanks for any advice,
Olivier
Mmmm, chore scheduling. My second-favourite subject after Web... {Sharpens battle axe, puts on armour...}

OK, in instance 1 my bet is that you have the start date of the chore in a different daylight savings season to the current date. For example, in Australia we're currently OFF daylight savings since it's the middle of winter. If I have a chore where the start date is shown as (say) the 10th of December (at which time we WILL be on daylight savings) and check the schedule, it'll be an hour out. The reverse will also be true. Make sure that the start date is in the same season as you are now and you should be OK.

Instances 2 and 3: I find that crashes will be occasional rather than universal, and will more often happen if I'm activating via the time setting dialog (that is, by checking the Chore Schedule is Active box) rather than by right clicking on the chore in the chore list and activating / deactivating it. I've also noticed that it tends to happen more often if the day of my local timezone is different to the day of UTC (Universal Time, formerly (kinda sorta) Greenwich Mean Time). For example, at the time of writing it's 08:59 on 11 July. In UTC it's still 22:59 on the 10th of July. If I activate or deactivate a chore now, I'll often (not invariably, but often) have Excel crash out from under me. If I wait until after 10am local time (when UTC will show 11 July as well), this is less likely to happen.

However if you're getting this every time, it suggests some kind of bug in 9.1 SP2 (albeit one which only affects machines configured in the way 2 and 3 are), and which would be well worth reporting to Iboglix. Chore scheduling really is one thing that they've never seemed to be able to get right, the problem being that when combined with the API's completely graceless error handling ("Oooh, unexpected argument, let me just crash the host environment!"), you get Excel crashes.

One thing that may also be worth checking is whether machines 2 and 3 have different user permissions compared to machine 1. What I'm thinking is that some .ocx or library may not have been registered properly because the users had base level permissions, rather than power user or admin permissions.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Olivier
Community Contributor
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Post by Olivier »

Thanks for your detailled answer Alan !
I will try to analyse further this bug in the light of your answer and post some feedbacks on my findings.

Kind Regards,

Olivier
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

in 9 1sp2 U3 we found that editing a chore automatically shifts it's scheduled time by 1 hour.

Nice :(

Never caused us any problems that one - no sireeh!
John Hobson
The Planning Factory