macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Interesting findings in rules

Post by macsir »

Although the official document is saying,
When consolidating data in cubes that have rules defined, TM1 turns off this sparse consolidation algorithm because one or more empty cells may in fact be calculated by a rule. (Skipping rules-calculated cells will cause consolidated totals to be incorrect). When the sparse consolidation algorithm is turned off, every cell is checked for a value during consolidation. This can slow down calculations in cubes that are very large and sparse.

SKIPCHECK;copy to clipboard
If your rule uses a FEEDSTRINGS statement, the SKIPCHECK statement should be the second statement in your rule. If your rule does not use a FEEDSTRINGS statement, the SKIPCHECK statement should be the first statement in your rule.

When you use SKIPCHECK to restore sparse consolidation, you must also ensure that your rule includes a FEEDERS declaration and that all rules-derived cells are identified by feeder statements.
But if you put any text without hash in the front before SKIPCHECK statment, TM1 won't give you any error and rule is still valid if you save it. I don't know if it is bug or not. This has been verified in 10.2.2 FP4 and PA2 environments. I assume the rule just begin to be evaluated from SKIPCHECK statement anyway. Anything before that will be ignored.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Interesting findings in rules

Post by Elessar »

(Was long ago in 9.5.2)
This broke my brain, when I tried to analyze a rule with 3 (!) SKIPCHECKS

The rule begins to be evaluated from the last SKIPCHECK statement
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

Elessar wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 am (Was long ago in 9.5.2)
This broke my brain, when I tried to analyze a rule with 3 (!) SKIPCHECKS

The rule begins to be evaluated from the last SKIPCHECK statement
haha, good one. :lol:
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

I went to a customer in the south of England who were using this feature of the rule parser to write extensive well formatted documentation of their rules. Couldn't believe it then went back to read the parser code and, lo and behold, it was confirmed. However it looked as if it was completely accidental. I suppose only Manny could tell for sure.
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

Duncan P wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 pm customer in the south of England who were using this feature of the rule parser to write extensive well formatted documentation of their rules.
This race of beings of which you speak, of what heretofore unknown lands in the south of England whence they came? :lol:
Ty
Cleveland, TN