mce
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

Installing PAW on Window Server 2012 R1 on VM

Post by mce »

Hello,

Anyone running PAW on a Windows 2012 R2 Server in a VMWare environment?
Does it work well? Any performance problems?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Regards,
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Installing PAW on Window Server 2012 R1 on VM

Post by Alan Kirk »

mce wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:33 pm Hello,

Anyone running PAW on a Windows 2012 R2 Server in a VMWare environment?
Does it work well? Any performance problems?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
I can't help you with that one, because I weighed up the options and decided that I wasn't going to bother even installing a test instance until I had Server 2016 environments running. At least 2016 means not having to worry (as much) about all this VM / Linux / Docker horse@@@@. It is fricking ridiculous that a Windows site should need to do anything other than install a Windows service.

The memo that IBM doesn't seem to have received is that I (and, I would suggest, most TM1 admins) are not getting paid to become a propeller-head and learn all about Linux or Docker, I'm paid to provide a modelling tool to help with business decisions. Introducing something like the Docker model and making the tool over-complicated to use on earlier Windows instances (and more complicated than it needs to be even on 2016, come to that) in no way helps me to do that in a cost or time efficient fashion.

The only up side is that it's given me a business case to move on to Server 2016, which is probably overdue anyway in my case.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
AskAndAnswer
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0...
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Installing PAW on Window Server 2012 R1 on VM

Post by AskAndAnswer »

I've installed PAW on 2012 VM. The first thing you need to check is if it has a nested VM. Second, the latest version of Docker Toolbox will not work with PAW, you need to downgrade Docker to 17.06.2 or even 1.12.6 in some cases. Also, if you run Docker as an admin, more than likely PAW will have to be run as an admin.
Other than that, it works well.