Prevent calculation of TM1 cells

NPTM1
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2010

Prevent calculation of TM1 cells

Post by NPTM1 »

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to conditionally prevent a DBRW cell from performing it's calculation? I've got a lot of TM1 formulae in my workbook and it takes an age to reload. Depending on the data, a lot of these cells don't actually need to be loaded and can be skipped.

I think wrapping inside an =IF formula would still perform the calculation in the background regardless of the condition, and so still chew up resource. I thought about zeroing one of the dimension values the formula looks at so it would result in a #VALUE! error, though I'm not sure whether TM1 is expending much resource when calculating this.

Running a macro to turn TM1 formulae into values also seems to take a long time to run and causes Excel to sometimes crash, so if anyone has any good workarounds that would be greatly appreciated! :D
Willi
Regular Participant
Version: 9.5.2

Re: Prevent calculation of TM1 cells

Post by Willi »

Every calculation to decide if you have to do a DBRW is itself a calculation. And a DBRW only reads the data from the Cube (and writes it if you make changes to this cell). All calculations for the cell is done regardless you read the cell or not.

It seems to me that you have to think about the design of the model. Do you use SKIPCHECK and FEEDERS. Do you have overfeeding. Are you using only DBRW or do you mix with DBR. Do you use Starviews. ...
NPTM1
Version: 9.5.1

Post by NPTM1 »

Willi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:40 pm All calculations for the cell is done regardless you read the cell or not.
Yeah I was worried that might be the case. I was hoping to avoid reading from the cube if a certain condition was satisifed, as the local calculations in Excel are much faster than the TM1 ones.

I'm not familiar with SKIPCHECK and FEEDERS / Starview/ DBR, I only really use TM1 as a basic end user, though I'll read up on this.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

NPTM1 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:25 pm Does anyone know of a way to conditionally prevent a DBRW cell from performing it's calculation?
The answer to that question is no so what you need to do is go back to the drawing board and look at why you think you need DBRW formulas in a workbook in the first place that don't need evaluation. Perhaps having a kitchen sink workbook is not the best design. Maybe use an Active Form workbook?
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/