Upgrading from 10.2.2 to Planning Analytics Local

lpahnke
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Upgrading from 10.2.2 to Planning Analytics Local

Post by lpahnke »

I'm curious if anyone has experiences they can share about upgrading from 10.2.2 to Planning Analytics Local. We're on 10.2.2 FP7 right now and over the next year will be exploring upgrading to PAL and I'm curious about the level of work involved and how big a project it would be, and any impacts we'd want to be aware of in advance in terms of looking at our existing models. It's likely we wouldn't actually do the upgrade until a year from now so I understand that our experience will be different than anyone who has upgraded already since I assume PAL will have some updates released during that time, but I hope that by learning more about someone else's experiences in advance it might still be helpful to assess what we might be getting into. Thanks in advance.
st2000
OLAP Product: TM1 (Windows) & SSAS 2014 Ent.
Version: 10.2.0 FP3
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Re: Upgrading from 10.2.2 to Planning Analytics Local

Post by st2000 »

I installed for evaluation purposes a PA2 local in a Virtualbox (using CentOS 7). You need to take care to use a Java JRE listed in the supported environments portal from IBM, although the tm1_inst manual indicates that IBM won't deliver a JAVA jre and the admin has to provide one. The preinstalled openJDK 1.8 didn't work. Then you need to import the IBM certificate into the keystore from the JAVA jre you pointed via JAVA_HOME on.
Works similar like described in tm1_inst, but has a different path, possibly. Thus, it is not really a clickdummy guide, but only an indication nearby what to do (OK for open source, not OK for such an expensive software like TM1 is :-( ).
Then I installed locally on my PC the windows clients. Architect sees the PA2-servers inside the VM (hostonly-network). But don't see my TM1 10.2 servers, althought updated last year this time concerning the new SSL certificates. And I had errors in my local Perspectives 10.2 installation and needed to re-add the .xla-files TM1p.xla, the ...Ribbon.xla and TM1d.xla . An runtime error appears sometimes, but it works when ignored. So careful if you want to have both client versions on the same machine, even when installing them into different folders.
Recently I managed to deploy into that VM also a demo environment of contributor.
Performance Modeler doesn't connect either to the application server nor to a particular PA2-server directly. That's work in progress and hinders me to design my own contributor process for prototyping. Might be better using pure windows also at server site, but I'm lucky with waiting a little time to migrate. Hopefully we see PA 2.1 next time :?
-----------------------------------
Best regards,
Stefan
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Upgrading from 10.2.2 to Planning Analytics Local

Post by Steve Rowe »

Our experience has been quite different to Stefan's, on current releases at least.
The complexity of the environment obviously does increase once you want PAW or PAx as you will need the PAW server in place, which mostly implies a second piece of hardware. If you are on an Express rather than a PVU licence then you could up your core count and put it all on a single box.

If you go for the full suite you'll need to ensure you set-up the TM1 box with enough RAM for the Websphere JVM that looks after TM1 Web, Apps web and PAx comms.

A like for like upgrade of TM1 10.2.2 to (look away now IBMers) "TM1 11" is pretty much like any other upgrade.

IMO at this point there is nothing to be intimidated by, the latest windows based PAW install went in cleanly which was really the last thing to be ticked off.

If you have any development planned in the next year I would encourage you to upgrade before, so you can take advantage of the Hierarchies functionality which really delivers a step change in the way systems are designed and our ability to future proof a system. The only caveat being that at the moment static flat pack Excel reporting versus Hierarchies is a challenge, i.e. DBRWs don't support hierarchies yet. It is great for the more dynamic types of analysis and so forth though.

HTH
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk