ViRa
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos BI, TM1
Version: 9.5.2 - 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2003

Need Suggestion - TM1 Performance Modeler or Planning Analytics

Post by ViRa »

Hi all,

I am currently in TM1 10.2.2 environment. I wanted help in identifying which one of the options would be better for modeling -

1) Using TM1 Performance Modeler (available in the current version instead of TM1 Architect since Architect is no longer supported) OR
2) Upgrading the environment to IBM Planning Analytics and use its TM1 related components (Architect or Performance Modeler in Planning Analytics?)

I appreciate all the feedback and any suggestions you might have for me.

Thanks,
Vidhya
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Need Suggestion - TM1 Performance Modeler or Planning Analytics

Post by declanr »

ViRa wrote:instead of TM1 Architect since Architect is no longer supported)
Architect is still supported; it is just the case that IBM are putting development effort into planning analytics instead.
PM never reached its target of being the only Dev tool and still needed the use of architect as well.
PM like Architect is no longer being actively developed but as it never reached the maturity of architect you should probably write it off now.

That leaves you with Architect or PA; again PA is not fully mature yet so either use a combo of architect and PA or just architect but it entirely depends on the requirement of what you are developing.
Declan Rodger
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi ViRa,

You've not given much information on what you mean by "modelling"...

If you mean develop and build TM1 applications then there are really no shortcuts to learning the language and the tool in detail.

PM, will help you a little as it has some wizard based development tools, but this is only really suitable for very simple applications. (IMO!)
AFAIK, PA does not have any wizard based development.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
ViRa
Regular Participant

Post by ViRa »

Thanks Declan and Steve for your inputs.

Declan, as per the IBM technote, advanced rules editor is no longer supported from version 10.1. This causes difficulties especially if the project involves rules to be written. Hence I'm wondering if Architect would be the right choice.

Steve, the projects I would need to work on involves operational analysis on numbers (specifically premium calculations). If PM can handle only simple applications, can you suggest what better options I would have considering I only have Architect and PM accessible.

Thanks
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

Architect/Perspectives is still the default modelling interface you should be using. There are a few newer functionalities that don't exist in A/P (dimension types, content folders, managing TM1 Applications etc) so if you use those you will need to use PM or PA. If code editing/formatting is important to you (this is where A/P really falls flat) then consider using an external code/text editor. Forget PM, it has very limited practical uses, is poorly designed and executed and will soon be dead. PA is the future, but in the meantime the bulk of development work is still done in A/P and there is no real alternative for now.
Kamil Arendt
ViRa
Regular Participant

Post by ViRa »

Thank you Qml. But I still am trying to figure out what options do I have in terms of Rules editor since advanced rules editor is no more available in Architect
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

ViRa wrote:Thank you Qml. But I still am trying to figure out what options do I have in terms of Rules editor since advanced rules editor is no more available in Architect
Last time I checked ARE was not officially supported, but still supplied with 10.2.2 and so you should be able to use it if you really need to. Of course you can also use the classic rule/TI editors, which I admit I use personally at most client sites, albeit with Cubewise's Auto Hot Key extension called TIHelper. Many people opt for Notepad++. This subject comes up from time to time.
Kamil Arendt
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

Hi,

I keep reading/hearing that performance modeler will soon be dead or that it can cause issues by activating it.

Generally I hear that the advice is to avoid it like, well the plague! ;)

But my understanding is that to work with metric cubes you need to do this in Performance Modeler, so I guess my questions are:

Why would IBM consider something to be dead if they are so integral to metrics, scorecarding etc
What are the pitfalls of activating it?

Maren
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Performance Modeler was built by the Cognos EP team as a 'skin' over TM1, to make TM1 more accessible to EP-ers. It was not successful. However there remain a small set of tasks for which it is either required or very helpful:
  • Required
    • Creating metric content (note that the generated rules are among the worst I have seen)
    • Creating 'Contributor' (Applications Web) applications
    Helpful
    • Creating and populating time dimensions
That's pretty much it IMO.

I have yet to spend much time with the (TM1) developer components in PAW. They look nice but the Architect/Perspectives equivalents work well and I know where things are.
Note, also, that the weirdly named Advanced Rules Editor used to have major issues with creating multidimensional [] references and I can't recall whether it supported the 'subset' syntax [{'x','y'},{'a','b'}] - because I haven't used it for years. Good for demos though.
IBM have talked vaguely about what will replace 'Contributor'. I myself doubt it will cover full on submit/accept/reject functionality.