Duplication of values in the cube

VReddy
OLAP Product: 10.2.2
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Duplication of values in the cube

Post by VReddy »

Hi

I have an issue with elements in TM1 cube where the values doesn't match with Hyperion. Few elements show duplicate values ,but some does match with Hyperion data. I don't understand why it is duplicating ? does it duplicate at the leaf level?
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Duplication of values in the cube

Post by Alan Kirk »

VReddy wrote: I have an issue with elements in TM1 cube where the values doesn't match with Hyperion. Few elements show duplicate values ,but some does match with Hyperion data. I don't understand why it is duplicating ? does it duplicate at the leaf level?
I'm not sure how well (or not) you understand how TM1 works, but the following needs to be tattooed on the inside of your eyelids:

"TM1 stores ONE value at the intersection of ONE element from EACH dimension in a cube."

It therefore follows that there can be no such thing as a "duplicate".

If you are seeing the same value multiple times it is most likely because:
(a) You have the value for an element stored in multiple elements of the other dimension(s) or, more commonly
(b) The view that you're using includes a subset in which a particular element appears more than once. This is a display thing, not a data thing.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Sighurd
Version: 10.2.2fp6
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Sighurd »

There can be an error in your data importing process. If your process expects to aggregate several numbers from source into "ONE value at the intersection of ONE element from EACH dimension in a cube", it probably uses CellIncrementN command. And if TM1 developer made a mistake and the view is not zeroed out, or includes wrong elements (or more importantly - does not include right elements) in (some) dimensions, you may see some values doubled. If after next data load you see them trippled - it will confirm this possibility.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Sighurd wrote:There can be an error in your data importing process. If your process expects to aggregate several numbers from source into "ONE value at the intersection of ONE element from EACH dimension in a cube", it probably uses CellIncrementN command. And if TM1 developer made a mistake and the view is not zeroed out, or includes wrong elements (or more importantly - does not include right elements) in (some) dimensions, you may see some values doubled. If after next data load you see them trippled - it will confirm this possibility.
Hence the reason that I said in response to his other thread on this issue:
Alan Kirk wrote:a "duplication" at leaf level is by definition impossible, assuming that you are really referring to "duplication" and not "aggregation". But since you have given nothing in the way of information about the code, the process, the data source, whether you have written the source data out to a log to check that what you are getting is what you think you are getting, etc, etc, that's hard to know.
The last sentence still applies.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Sighurd
Version: 10.2.2fp6
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Sighurd »

No argument here, Alan :) Information is too scarce, to the point when you start to wonder, if OP really wants any help. And I did not see previous topic.

The experience with incorrectly created view to zero out before importing data was acquired the hard way. So I felt I could share it in hope that someone else will spend less time figuring it out for himself. Seems trivial after you sort it out, but it was driving me crazy for a while :)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Sighurd wrote:No argument here, Alan :) Information is too scarce, to the point when you start to wonder, if OP really wants any help. And I did not see previous topic.
I thought about merging them but I think there may be some links to either one floating about in other threads.
Sighurd wrote:The experience with incorrectly created view to zero out before importing data was acquired the hard way. So I felt I could share it in hope that someone else will spend less time figuring it out for himself.
Yes, I think we've all been there at some time or other on the last point...
-----------
VReddy
OLAP Product: 10.2.2
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by VReddy »

Thank you guys for posting your views, finally I resolved that issue,found some elements are duplicated at consolidated levels.
Alan Kirk wrote:
Sighurd wrote:No argument here, Alan :) Information is too scarce, to the point when you start to wonder, if OP really wants any help. And I did not see previous topic.
I thought about merging them but I think there may be some links to either one floating about in other threads.
Sighurd wrote:The experience with incorrectly created view to zero out before importing data was acquired the hard way. So I felt I could share it in hope that someone else will spend less time figuring it out for himself.
Yes, I think we've all been there at some time or other on the last point...