Connecting an older client to a newer server

Robster
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Connecting an older client to a newer server

Post by Robster »

Hello,

Currently I’m working for a client who is in the middle of an upgrade session (10.2.1  10.2.2 FP6). Because the client does not want to disturb the users with much downtime they would like to keep the clients on their current version (10.2.1), and only install new systems with the newest version (10.2.2).

Basically, I’m trying to get the 10.2.1 client to connect with the 10.2.2 server.

Unfortunately this isn’t working as of yet. I was wondering what might be causing the issues. There are no issues when connecting the 10.2.2 clients to the 10.2.2 server.

I have also used a workaround to get Architect working. I copied the bin folder from the 10.2.2 server to the other machine running the older client. Launching architect from this bin folder on the old machine does work, so there are no SSL or Firewall issues present. Sadly I can’t successfully launch Perspectives from that bin folder, VBA returns an error. Presumably Perspectives is missing files since I only copied the bin folder.

Does anyone has any insight how to get the older client communicating with the newer server?

Thanks in advance.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Connecting an older client to a newer server

Post by tomok »

What do you have as ClientVersionMinimum and ClientVersionMaximum in your tm1s.cfg file?
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Declan Rodger
Robster
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by Robster »

Thank you for your responses.

I already have the parameter SupportPreTLSv12Clients=T in the tm1s.cfg file. I also tried ClientVersionMinimum but it didn't seem to help. If anything it seems to me that using ClientVersionMinimum and Maximum are only limiting the possibilities for the client to connect.
Gabor
MVP
Version: [2.x ...] 11.x / PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Excel 2013-2016

Post by Gabor »

Did you enable the Admin Server to support pre TLS1.2 clients in Cognos configurations?