Monthly Poll 201703_04: How many production server instances do you run?

How many production server instances (not boxes or VMs) do you run?

One is enough.
30%
Two is double the fun.
9%
Three. Triangles rock.
21%
Four. Because I like a tidy server rack and can arrange them in a perfect square. (Only works if you have one server per box.)
3%
Five. I don't like it when I need to use both hands to count them.
9%
Six. Because I don't like cricket, I love it.
6%
Seven. Because John Glenn was a legend.
3%
Eight. It's the second magic number in physics and I'm more of a Frank Borman and Jim Lovell fan.
No votes
Nine. I love odd composite numbers.
No votes
Ten. Just to keep the numbers round.
No votes
11 to 15
3%
16 to 20
6%
21 to 25
No votes
26 to Who In The What Now?
9%

Total votes: 33

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Monthly Poll 201703_04: How many production server instances do you run?

Post by Alan Kirk »

It's been a while since we've done one of these, so it might be mildly entertaining to thow another one up.

A discussion came up today that made me think while we know our own environments, and maybe the environments of some other TM1 admins, we don't necessarily know the wider picture of how other people's TM1 lives are lived. This would seem to be a rich source of poll material (as well as maybe giving the membership a wider appreciation of "stuff other people do"), so to kick it off we have the question... how many production instances of TM1 would you typically run inside your company?

As usual comments about why you chose as many or as few as you have can add to the mix, should you feel inclined.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Re: Monthly Poll 201703_04: How many production server instances do you run?

Post by gtonkin »

Going with 4 as I am averaging based on my clients' environments. Some of the larger banks approach 10 instances as they have deployed planning quite widely and have performance management frameworks, remuneration planning etc. So the decision on what to keep together and when to split becomes a question of the function (department) using the model. Many of the instances are also linked but at different levels of granularity and at different stages of the data flow e.g. the Sales performance model feeds into the Performance model. The Retail expenses model feeds into both Group as well as the Performance model etc. etc.

I guess in this manner you also reduce risk in terms of contention, down time, highly complicated security models and many more nasties. More is not necessarily better but would still go with creating based on function/department for my client base.
jcr55
Version: 9.5.2 FP2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Re: Monthly Poll 201703_04: How many production server instances do you run?

Post by jcr55 »

Yes, we have 26 production TM1 Servers running.
Several general reporting / planning servers, along with some special use servers, etc. And some old junk we can't convince Finance to give up...
Our rating agency survey application is set up with a new TM1 server every year (since the survey formats and inputs change from year to year).