Feeder issue

vovanenok
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Feeder issue

Post by vovanenok »

Maybe I don't understand something about feeders, that's why I'm asking.

I have the measure dimension:
msr.jpg
msr.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
fin_percent is calculated using a rule:
rule.jpg
rule.jpg (155.64 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Finally Station dimension looks like:
Stations.jpg
Stations.jpg (220 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
alloc_amount for TV and Radio is copied from TV Stations and Radio Stations consolidations by TI process (for performance optimization), so fin_amount for each station including TV and Radio elements should be always fed if there is any value for alloc_amount, consequently fin_percent should be fed as well.

However I have a problem with one TV station, for some reason when look at its fin_percent at FTE CE Group ("Cost Element" dimension consolidated element), it displays the right value: 2.91%

also when I click check feeders it shows that it's fed, but when I suppress zeroes that fin_percent disappears, so in fact it is not fed.

What am I missing here?
----------
TeamOne Google Sheets add-on for IBM Planning Analytics
Let's connect on LinkedIn
vovanenok

Re: Feeder issue

Post by vovanenok »

I don't know why but I was not able to attache the 4th screen shot, attaching it here:

However I have a problem with one TV station, for some reason when look at its fin_percent at FTE CE Group ("Cost Element" dimension consolidated element), it displays the right value: 2.91%
calc.jpg
calc.jpg (265.17 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
After zero-suppression:
calc0.jpg
calc0.jpg (210.94 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
----------
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

I think you are running into trouble with C level rules and feeders.

Feeders only happen at the N level, think ticks in a box that says calculate me.

C level cells are only "fed" if at least one cell under it is fed and non-zero.

So in your first view in the second post, since there is no value under the problem cell (that I can see in the screen shot). The C level cell is not "fed" and so does not display.

Cheers,

Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
vovanenok

Post by vovanenok »

Hi Steve

Thanks for you reply. This is exactly what I thought initially, but was not sure about if feeders work on C-level.

So I need that Cost Element consolidation to be calculated even there is no child elements with values.

One solution that comes to my mind is making fin_percent to be a consolidated element and having at one child element which will be feeding it
For example, I could move fin_amount under fin_percent

Does anybody have any better recommendation?
----------
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

vovanenok wrote:Hi Steve

Thanks for you reply. This is exactly what I thought initially, but was not sure about if feeders work on C-level.

So I need that Cost Element consolidation to be calculated even there is no child elements with values.

One solution that comes to my mind is making fin_percent to be a consolidated element and having at one child element which will be feeding it
For example, I could move fin_amount under fin_percent

Does anybody have any better recommendation?
Unless you have a scenario where fin_percent will be calculated for actuals but input for forecast then there is absolutely no reason for this to be an N element. Rather it can be a C with fin_amount as a child which acts as a "feeder". Nothing changes to the rule other than it becomes C: and you remove the feeder as it is now redundant.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
vovanenok

Post by vovanenok »

Hey lotsaram, thanks for your answer, yes this is what I've done to resolve my issue.

Please clarify if there is any case when we can use a consolidated element on the left side of feeder statement, as I found this example http://ykud.com/blog/cognos/tm1-cognos/ ... ed-feeders which shows feeding from a consolidated element, but it didn't work in my case
----------
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

Feeders are substitute DATA. Therefore it is critical to realize feeders only exist for leaf cells. Putting C element on the left hand side of a feeder is shorthand for all ultimate N element descendants of the C element. On the right hand side the element name evaluated by !dimension are the leaves not the C element. This is important to understand.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
vovanenok

Post by vovanenok »

lotsaram wrote:Feeders are substitute DATA. Therefore it is critical to realize feeders only exist for leaf cells. Putting C element on the left hand side of a feeder is shorthand for all ultimate N element descendants of the C element. On the right hand side the element name evaluated by !dimension are the leaves not the C element. This is important to understand.
hey lotsaram, thank you so much for the explanation! Now that puzzle is completely solved for me!
----------