BulkLoadMode. TI RollBack problems

nlashin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: 365

BulkLoadMode. TI RollBack problems

Post by nlashin »

Hi guys!

Probably everyone of you faced with the locks problems in TM1. I need an advice.
We have TM1 model with TI process which called by user and it takes 10 - 15 min.
In parallel with this process, users try open views and read data. I made reservation on all cubes (so, users can't realize write locks).
But process realize locks on many object of the system and users wait this. But when process done and try to commit changes, users breakthrough with opening of views, and process rollback and not commit changes. I don't understand the logic. Why users wait 15 min, and after that (when process done) crash sequence of the process and push it to rollback even if they can't write anything.

I try to use BulkLoadMode to decide this, but at this case I can't stop process by TM1TOP. May be you have little API application with disabling of BulkLoadMode, or may be you have any other solution of this problem.
babytiger
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, EP, Analyst
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Re: BulkLoadMode. TI RollBack problems

Post by babytiger »

Hi,

Trying to understand your issue.....
  1. user executes a process (takes a while to complete), what type of updates is this TI doing? Mainly cube data, or does it involve dimension updates as well?
  2. other users trying to access views of this cube...but had to wait for the above TI to finish.
  3. process completed, but roll back? and didn't commit changes? didn't understand this one.
  4. server crashes as result?
Without having a lot of understanding on what you are trying to do, have you thought of the following:
  1. parallel interaction
  2. does the above TI needs 10-15 minutes of processing time, can it be done quicker
  3. or use of sandboxing for data commit, etc.
MK
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

Nikita, what version of TM1 are you using?
I faced the same in 9.5.2: users' activity forced the process to rollback, and I needed to turn on bulkload. In 10.2.2 we didn't face any rollback problems.
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
nlashin

Post by nlashin »

babytiger wrote:[*]user executes a process (takes a while to complete), what type of updates is this TI doing? Mainly cube data, or does it involve dimension updates as well
This process interact with Cube A. User try to open view in Cube B. Cube B depend on Cube A. But user haven't got permissions to change something (reserve on a cube), only can read data.
babytiger wrote: [*]other users trying to access views of this cube...but had to wait for the above TI to finish.
Users had to wait for the TI to finish when try to open view in cube B.
babytiger wrote: [*]process completed, but roll back? and didn't commit changes? didn't understand this one.
When process complete, it unlock objects (as i understand), but not commit changes yet. And when unlocking happens, user's view (which was in waiting phase) start building and it cause that process rollback and start again. In this case i have a question. Why user wait whole ti process duration to open view, open it at the end and push process start again.

babytiger wrote: [*]server crashes as result?
No
babytiger wrote: [*]does the above TI needs 10-15 minutes of processing time, can it be done quicker
Unfortunately, no :(
babytiger wrote: [*]or use of sandboxing for data commit, etc.
Interesting your experience to use this to prevent process rollback. Is it online synchronization between sandbox and base data?
nlashin

Post by nlashin »

Elessar wrote:Nikita, what version of TM1 are you using?
I faced the same in 9.5.2: users' activity forced the process to rollback, and I needed to turn on bulkload. In 10.2.2 we didn't face any rollback problems.
Hi, Elessar!

Do you use parallel interactions in 10.2.2 model?
nlashin

Post by nlashin »

Elessar wrote: I faced the same in 9.5.2: users' activity forced the process to rollback, and I needed to turn on bulkload.
And very interesting how you stop your procedures in bulk load mode?
ByronB
OLAP Product: TM1 + BI
Version: TM1 10.2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by ByronB »

Hi nlashin,

You should definitely use Parallel processing in order to speed up your TI. If your TI copy a full year data from Cube A to cube B, instead of using one TI to copy the full year, you could run 12 TI, one TI load one month, it will run 12 times faster

Parallel processing works very well with TM1 10.2.2. The only issue I've seen is if you use TM1 + CAM security and for CAM Security you use Cognos BI Runtime. If you use Cognos BI Runtime, you should upgrade to Cognos BI

Parallel processing with TM1 + CAM security works very well if you use Cognos BI for security

If you want to use parallel processing, I highly recommend to use Hustle, it is a free tool that will help you to manage treads
http://cubewise.com/blog/hustle-tm1-uti ... nload-free

Cheers,
nlashin

Post by nlashin »

ByronB, Hi!

Sounds great, thanks! I'll try this and then give you feedback then!
Last edited by nlashin on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

nlashin wrote:Do you use parallel interactions in 10.2.2 model?
Yes
nlashin wrote:And very interesting how you stop your procedures in bulk load mode?
No one can disturb a process in bulk load mode :)
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.