Folders in TM1 Applications Web (Contributor)

rkather
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Folders in TM1 Applications Web (Contributor)

Post by rkather »

All,

We’ve been asked by one of our clients to provide 2 entry points to TM1 Applications Web (aka Contributor).

The client has suggested 2 options:
- Create folders on the main pmpsvc page and have the underlying applications within the folders. This was apparently available in the Cognos Enterprise Planning but is not a functionality they carried through to TM1 contributor

- Create a separate virtual folder / URL like “pmpsvc_v2” we tried to do a lift and drop of the pmpsvc folder and rename it…However, once you hit the URL it redirects you back into the original pmpsvc URL. I’m assuming this is something that trickles down from Cognos Configuration or one of the tomcat XML files.

We’re going to put this out on the forum as well and possibly pursue this with IBM.

Anybody have suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!
Rukshana Begum
ACG TM1 Consulting
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Folders in TM1 Applications Web (Contributor)

Post by declanr »

Haven't got any applications running on my PC at the moment to check this but there is a URL for each application (that I seem to remember you can find from the properties section of each application in the PMPSVC portal screen.)

Just create your own webpage in any way you want and then stick those URLs on it. Your customer probably has an intranet that they can add a basic webpage onto with the links or sharepoint etc if you are uncomfortable with making your own webpages.
Declan Rodger
mberson
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Post by mberson »

I think the issue that Rukshana has is that most users have the main URL bookmarked already and they don't want the users seeing all of the applications in the same place. We know we can use Cognos BI or a custom web page like you suggested, but we don't know a way of segregating the applications into 2 folders or creating an alternate PMPSVC folder in the same environment.
Matthew Berson
ACG TM1 Consulting
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

mberson wrote:I think the issue that Rukshana has is that most users have the main URL bookmarked already and they don't want the users seeing all of the applications in the same place.
But if you set up a second PMPSVC folder they would have to use a different URL anyway; so why not set up a custom navigation page and just tell users not to use the pmpsvc URL anymore?

If you do absolutely want 2 (or more) versions of the PMPSVC portal i would strongly recommend against trying to mess around with the files on 1 server as you will need to do the same for every fixpack or upgrade and although you may be able to manage that as a consultant its fair to assume it would perhaps involve difficulty the customer may not be able to accommodate moving forward.
You can install the application service on multiple servers (or just different virtual slices on 1 physical server if cost is an issue) and split the applications that way.
Declan Rodger
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9

Post by Elessar »

If you have Cognos Connections portal, you can create folders with links there
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
mberson
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0

Post by mberson »

Thanks to all for the replies.

FYI - this is a requirement by the customer, not from me. The requirement is not to have all the applications listed on the initial landing page pmpsvc/applications.jsp. Either have folders there (not available) or an altogether separate URL. (I thought Cognos EP had folders in their Contributor applications, but I'm not 100% sure)

While Cognos Connection is an option, we are relying on the users to use a different URL and it does not prevent from going the regular pmpsvc page and seeing all the applications there. Customer does not trust the users to do this and I'm not sure there is a way to make the applications.jsp unavailable all together.

It sounds like the only viable solution is to have a separate server hosting the alternate Applications Web service.
Matthew Berson
ACG TM1 Consulting