TM1WEB 10.2.2 URL API

tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

TM1WEB 10.2.2 URL API

Post by tomok »

So I’m struggling a little bit here with the 10.2.2 version of TM1Web URL API and was hoping someone might be able to help me. I have an active form report that presents a list of items from a dimension and certain key attributes and values from a few cubes that have that dimension in it. I want to place a hyperlink in one of the columns that a user can click on that will take them to a form which will automatically default to the selected element and let them edit the attributes of that element. As I see it, I have two options:

1) User the URL API (http://servername:9510/tm1web/UrlApi.jsp#) syntax or
2) Use the Hyperlink function in Excel (TM1://servername/blob/PUBLIC/.\}Externals\SheetName.xlsx_YYYYMMDDTTTT.xlsx) syntax

With option 1, I can get it working fine, but it always opens a new version of the browser when I click on the hyperlink. Not cool.
With option 2, I can get it to work AND open the form in just another tab, but I can’t get it to set the incoming TITLE elements in the SUBNMs.
Is there a way to set the TITLE elements when opening the web sheet directly from the blob/PUBLIC/.\}Externals folder? I tried the URL API syntax (#Title_DimName_ElementName) but that doesn’t work (probably because I am not opening it through the UrlApi.jsp page).
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1WEB 10.2.2 URL API

Post by declanr »

I might be wrong but think its similar to the old web links when you used tm1://... which I believe also didn't allow you to pass context items. Also found that TM1://... only seems to work if your web server is on the same box.
The latter is annoying me more as its forced me to use the full API extensively and any sheet or cube view opened by the full api causes the drill option to not be available.

I hope someone replies to this showing how I am wrong; it would resolve a number of headaches.
Declan Rodger
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

tomok wrote:... I want to place a hyperlink in one of the columns that a user can click on that will take them to a form which will automatically default to the selected element and let them edit the attributes of that element. ...
Would an Action Button which transfers you to another workbook and passes the values via Advanced Options not work? (assuming you can pass the correct parameters based on the cell context)
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

gtonkin wrote:
tomok wrote:... I want to place a hyperlink in one of the columns that a user can click on that will take them to a form which will automatically default to the selected element and let them edit the attributes of that element. ...
Would an Action Button which transfers you to another workbook and passes the values via Advanced Options not work? (assuming you can pass the correct parameters based on the cell context)
I believe Tomok is doing the same as what I often do of having the hyperlink in side an active form so you get one for each row of data - an action button can't do that.
Declan Rodger
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

There was also this post recently which recommends using computername.domain rather than just the computername - not sure if you saw it but if not, may be worthwhile checking out.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

declanr wrote:I believe Tomok is doing the same as what I often do of having the hyperlink in side an active form so you get one for each row of data - an action button can't do that.
I am probably missing something here but I would normally have a workbook with high-level detail (source) and another with more detail (target). Source would have the Active Form and an Action Button configured to go to another worksheet
I would configure the button to Look In Applications, point to the relevant File/Sheet.
Using Advanced Options I would change the Source Type to DBRW, Source Object to the Dimension to be picked via SUBNM, Target Type as SUBNM, Target Object as the same Dimension etc.

Clicking on a cell in the Data area then clicking the Action Button opens the target workbook, updates the SUBNM based on the context of the DBRW and refreshes/rebuilds.

Have I missed the boat wrt what you normally do i.e. the purpose and what Tomok is likely tying to solve?
ardi
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: tm1, cognos bi
Version: from TM1 9.4 to PA 2.0.9.6
Excel Version: 2010

Post by ardi »

Hi gtonkin,

It would be wonderful if what Tom is trying to achieve can be done with Action Buttons. He wants to pass the selected row in active form to the destination sheet. So if the user clicks on row 10 for example, all the relevant data from row 10, pass to the destination sheet as title filters. If the user click row 11, the row 11 data will be passed to destination sheet. How can you do this with an action button? I have done this many times in prior versions with TM1Web URL API but never with Action button. Of course I have used action buttons to navigate and pass information from a websheet to another but only when the source is in a fixed cell. Can you please elaborate more?

Thank you
Ardian Alikaj
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

HI Ardi,

I may not have the exact same reports but where I have a Summary report (AF) with Employees on the rows, possibly Months on Columns and other elements in either Title/Row/Column, I may want to transfer to a detail report for further analysis.
Using the action button's Advanced Options, I can pass through multiple parameters to the detail report, where these parameters may be used in SUBNMs in "Title" dimensions in that report. When the Action button is clicked, TM1 (in my case) passes the parameters to the report and refreshes based on these.

I guess where things get a but vague is where you say "...all the relevant data from row 10..."
If there are items on the row that cannot be derived and passed via the Action Button using the methods in the Advanced Options then you are out of luck.

Hope this makes more sense.
tomok
MVP

Post by tomok »

Yes, you can do it with an action button but it's rather clunky. First, the user must click on a DBRW based cell, then they click on the action button. Would be much nicer if they only had to click once on a hyperlink. Also, as mentioned, they have to click on a DBRW cell. If you have an active form report the user can't click on an element, they have to click on a value. Not very intuitive as far as I am concerned.
American Tower
ardi
Community Contributor

Post by ardi »

tomok wrote:Yes, you can do it with an action button but it's rather clunky. First, the user must click on a DBRW based cell, then they click on the action button. Would be much nicer if they only had to click once on a hyperlink. Also, as mentioned, they have to click on a DBRW cell. If you have an active form report the user can't click on an element, they have to click on a value. Not very intuitive as far as I am concerned.
I thought this works in Excel only. I will try this in TM1Web but the problem i see in TM1Web, is that TM1Web does not highlight the selected row, is there a way to highlight the selected row? That was a requirement in my last TM1 implementation, users complained that they often loose track of the account they are making the adjustments for
Ardian Alikaj
tomok
MVP

Post by tomok »

No, you can't highlight a ROW but you can select a SPECIFIC CELL by clicking your mouse in it. Then you click on the action button. But like I explained, the cell has to have a DBRW formula in it so that the action button can look at the dimension selections inside the DBRW formulas and pass those through the action of the action button.
American Tower
ardi
Community Contributor

Post by ardi »

gtonkin wrote:HI Ardi,

I may not have the exact same reports but where I have a Summary report (AF) with Employees on the rows, possibly Months on Columns and other elements in either Title/Row/Column, I may want to transfer to a detail report for further analysis.
Using the action button's Advanced Options, I can pass through multiple parameters to the detail report, where these parameters may be used in SUBNMs in "Title" dimensions in that report. When the Action button is clicked, TM1 (in my case) passes the parameters to the report and refreshes based on these.

I guess where things get a but vague is where you say "...all the relevant data from row 10..."
If there are items on the row that cannot be derived and passed via the Action Button using the methods in the Advanced Options then you are out of luck.

Hope this makes more sense.
What i wanted to say is, if in your example with employees being shown in the rows of active form, and if you want to achieve the functionality of passing the employee of the row to the target report. I know you can use the "Selected DBRW" as source type in the mapping dialog box, but it's just not user friendly, and when I tried to use that in 10
2, IBM confirmed that it works only in Excel not in TM1Web. But the other problem.with that is, its not user friendly. Users to navigate from a specific row in a summary report to a detailed websheet, and that's how the URL API used to work and i dont know why they made it so bad in 10.2.2 ( each time you click it opens a new browser window, so its useless
Ardian Alikaj
tomok
MVP

Post by tomok »

ardi wrote:I know you can use the "Selected DBRW" as source type in the mapping dialog box, but it's just not user friendly, and when I tried to use that in 10.2, IBM confirmed that it works only in Excel not in TM1Web.
It works fine in 10.2.2. I just built a bunch of forms using it and tested them all in the Web without any issues.
American Tower
Piotr Rajtar
Version: 10.1 - 10.3
Excel Version: 2013

Post by Piotr Rajtar »

declanr wrote:The latter is annoying me more as its forced me to use the full API extensively and any sheet or cube view opened by the full api causes the drill option to not be available.

I hope someone replies to this showing how I am wrong; it would resolve a number of headaches.
In case someone stumbles upon this issue, there is a Request for Enhancement (RFE) for exactly this lack of drill option.
You can upvote it here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/ ... R_ID=73579
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

Piotr Rajtar wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:10 pm In case someone stumbles upon this issue, there is a Request for Enhancement (RFE) for exactly this lack of drill option.
There is an APAR relating to this problem, and it's stated to be corrected in 10.2.2 FP3: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg1PI32028
But we still have the problem on 10.2.2 FP7. Can anybody on FP3 confirm?
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Elessar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:47 am
Piotr Rajtar wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:10 pm In case someone stumbles upon this issue, there is a Request for Enhancement (RFE) for exactly this lack of drill option.
There is an APAR relating to this problem, and it's stated to be corrected in 10.2.2 FP3: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg1PI32028
But we still have the problem on 10.2.2 FP7. Can anybody on FP3 confirm?
I think that tech note is bogus as I don't recall drill from URL API opened cube view working in any version of 10.2.2.
But if I were you I would open a new PMR to confirm.
(Mine is one of the (only) 19 votes on that ER. It is also a critical issue for me as I use a lot of URL API to facilitate navigation from hyperlinks. Would very much like to see this fixed. For me I can't see any valid reason why this shouldn't would just because the view is opened in a new browser window.)
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

lotsaram wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 am But if I were you I would open a new PMR to confirm.
I've got the answer from IBM:
The drill through functionality was available in previous versions of TM1 Web (using .NET), but since this was rewritten in java (since TM1 10.2), this does not exist anymore. Drill through is not supported with tm1web urlAPI so code changes were made to remove the option from the context menu.
A bug was created about this (APAR PI58619 URL API DRILL DOES NOT WORK OR APPEAR) but was rejected by Dev.

The reason that drill through is no longer supported in TM1web URL API is that drill through requires an application container such as TM1 Web (java version) or a TM1 application web (formerly TM1 Contributor).
URLAPI does not have this capability.

There is an enhancement request, created by another customer, that you can subscribe to by clicking "Add Vote" and "Add to my watchlist" at the bottom right of this page :
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/ ... R_ID=73579
As far as I know this is still not in the roadmap and the last version Planning Analytics 2.0.2 still doesn't have this functionality back.

So, everybody vote, please! :)
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.