Issue with Macro Function and API for Setting Admin Host

mberson
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Issue with Macro Function and API for Setting Admin Host

Post by mberson »

I'm tinkering with setting the AdminHost with either the macro function OPTSET or an API call to TM1SystemAdminHostSet.

With either method, I'm finding the following behavior:
- List of available TM1 instances is displayed properly reflecting the AdminHost change
- The Server Explorer File-->Options is NOT updated with the new AdminHost
- The tm1p.ini file is NOT updated with the new AdminHost when Excel is closed
- The call is creating a temp file (tm1tmp$) that is not cleaned up and cannot be deleted until Excel is closed

Anyone experienced anything similar? Is there another API call that can be made to update the GUI (I think this will fix the issue with the TM1p.ini file)
Matthew Berson
ACG TM1 Consulting
rmackenzie
MVP

Re: Issue with Macro Function and API for Setting Admin Host

Post by rmackenzie »

mberson wrote:I'm tinkering with setting the AdminHost with either the macro function OPTSET or an API call to TM1SystemAdminHostSet.

With either method, I'm finding the following behavior:
- List of available TM1 instances is displayed properly reflecting the AdminHost change
Are you saying they are or aren't displayed properly? With TM1SystemAdminHostSet you have to also deal with the SSL credentials otherwise you won't correctly retrieve the list of servers being handled by the admin host(s).
mberson wrote:- The Server Explorer File-->Options is NOT updated with the new AdminHost
- The tm1p.ini file is NOT updated with the new AdminHost when Excel is closed
It's not the job of the API to update the ini files, which in turn are presented in the Options dialog. To alter that configuration - which is specific to Perspectives and not your application - you'd have to use some functions in the Windows API. There's a good example of the standard approach here:

Code: Select all

Private Declare Function GetPrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetPrivateProfileStringA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, ByVal lpKeyName As Any, ByVal lpDefault As String, ByVal lpReturnedString As String, ByVal nSize As Long, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long
Private Declare Function WritePrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" Alias "WritePrivateProfileStringA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, ByVal lpKeyName As Any, ByVal lpString As Any, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

Public Function IniFileName() As String
  IniFileName = "c:\[yourpath here]\settings.ini"
End Function

Private Function ReadIniFileString(ByVal Sect As String, ByVal Keyname As String) As String
Dim Worked As Long
Dim RetStr As String * 128
Dim StrSize As Long

iNoOfCharInIni = 0
  sIniString = ""
  If Sect = "" Or Keyname = "" Then
    MsgBox "Section Or Key To Read Not Specified !!!", vbExclamation, "INI"
  Else
    sProfileString = ""
    RetStr = Space(128)
    StrSize = Len(RetStr)
    Worked = GetPrivateProfileString(Sect, Keyname, "", RetStr, StrSize, IniFileName)
    If Worked Then
      iNoOfCharInIni = Worked
      sIniString = Left$(RetStr, Worked)
    End If
  End If
  ReadIniFileString = sIniString
End Function

Private Function WriteIniFileString(ByVal Sect As String, ByVal Keyname As String, ByVal Wstr As String) As String
Dim Worked As Long

iNoOfCharInIni = 0
  sIniString = ""
  If Sect = "" Or Keyname = "" Then
    MsgBox "Section Or Key To Write Not Specified !!!", vbExclamation, "INI"
  Else
    Worked = WritePrivateProfileString(Sect, Keyname, Wstr, IniFileName)
    If Worked Then
      iNoOfCharInIni = Worked
      sIniString = Wstr
    End If
    WriteIniFileString = sIniString
  End If
End Function
Robin Mackenzie
mberson
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Issue with Macro Function and API for Setting Admin Host

Post by mberson »

Thanks, Robin.

The list of available TM1 servers IS updated properly after my macro is run.

However, if I go to Server Explorer File-->Options the AdminHost displayed there does not match what was set in the macro. Obviously, this could cause some end-user confusion, which is my biggest concern here.

The tm1p.ini file is updated upon exiting, so I think the ini file issue would be resolved by inherently resolving the first issue.

FYI - this happens with both the API call and the out of box macro function, OPTSET.
Matthew Berson
ACG TM1 Consulting