Structure of Dimension Changed

anote

Structure of Dimension Changed

Post by anote »

When data is entered into TM1 and then the structure of dimension has been changed as Sample below
Assume this as structure of dimension 'Department'

Previous structure
Department A
- A 1
- A 2
Department B
- B 1
- B 2
- B 3

New structure > Move B 3 from department B to be hierachy of Department C
Department A
- A 1
- A 2
Department B
- B 1
- B 2
Department C
- B 3

New Structure has been modified in Mar.
So if I entered data to Mar for B3 then I cannot see data for B3 in Jan and Feb.
And the data in Conso level 'Department A' and 'Department B' will not the same as 'Previous Structure' in Jan and Feb

Do you have any suggestion for me for this case?
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Re: Structure of Dimension Changed

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi,

If your department structure is changing from time to time and you don't want the totals per department to change retrospectively you could consider (amongst others) the following options:

1. break the dimension into a department dimension (Total, Department A, Department B, etc.) and a 'sub-department' dimension (Total, A1, A2, B1, etc.). This way changes to the hierarchy like the one described will not change the totals per department retrospectively.
2. prefix your A1, A2, etc. elements with the department code: A_A1, B_B1, B_B3, C_B3 - where (based on the example) B_B3 will be a child element of Department B and C_B3 will be a child of Department C.

Michel
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Yes, this is a limitation of TM1 and I think most OLAP models.

The default thing that happens is that you move everything inlcluding your history when you restructure a dimenion and put an existing element under a new consolidation. This often makes sense, because then your history is instantaneously comparable with your present and future - your retrospective statements are automatically restated with the new structure.

If you don't want this to happen the alternative is not overly difficult, but a little time consuming. You need to create a new element (e.g. B3 - Dept B) which is still a child of the original consolidated element, and move all your old data into this new element. Moving forward you use a DIFFERENT element, e.g B3 - Dept C, or just plain B3.

HTH,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Actually I would say that TM1 (and the tools which are 'tributes' to TM1) are the exception not the rule. If you have to run a process of some time to get your consolidations then changing them doesn't change history. I can confirm that for Express and Essbase.

Just reminds me how far back I go in this game....