Fix Pack Releases: 9.5.2

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Fix Pack Releases: 9.5.2

Post by Alan Kirk »

For those who are unaware this morning IBM released a bunch of fix pack / interim fixes for the three main current versions, 9.5.2, 10.1 and 10.2. For the most part they relate to security. I'll put a separate post for each version to allow any discussions to be held under the relevant version post.

For 9.5.2 the release is Cognos TM1 9.5.2 Fix Pack 3 Interim Fix 5. (I'm assuming that everyone who is on 9.5.2 already has FP3; if you don't, you should since it cuts down (but doesn't entirely remove) the accursed "clipboard is in use" errors in active forms as well as addressing a whole bunch of PMRs, way too many to list in this post.)

IF 5 (the main page for which will be found here), is a server only release which addresses three security vulnerabilities:
CVE-2014-0224, which is described as "OpenSSL is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack, caused by the use of weak keying material in SSL/TLS clients and servers. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using a specially-crafted handshake to conduct man-in-the-middle attacks to decrypt and modify traffic";
CVE-2014-0411, which is described as "Timing differences based on validity of TLS messages can be exploited to decrypt the entire session. The exploit is not trivial, requiring a man-in-the-middle position and a long time to complete"; and
CVE-2014-0863, described as "A security vulnerability has been discovered in IBM Cognos TM1 resulting in unencrypted passwords found in memory on client". (How a "server only" fix rectifies that isn't clear.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Fix Pack Releases: 9.5.2

Post by Alan Kirk »

For those who are unaware IBM will be calling "time" on support for the 9.5 series at the end of September 2015. The announcement can be found here.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Re: Fix Pack Releases: 9.5.2

Post by Alan Kirk »

For anyone who missed it there was a Flash alert about security vulnerabilities yesterday.

For 9.5 the recommendation is to update to Cognos TM1 9.5.2 Fix Pack 3 Interim Fix 8.

Short of anything catastrophic happening between now and the end of September when it goes off support, that will probably be the last of the 9.5 releases.
-----------