To use DimensionDeleteAllElements

nayitian
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2007

To use DimensionDeleteAllElements

Post by nayitian »

Hi there,

If I need to recreate a dimension with a brand new set of data, what I am doing is to use DimensionDeleteAllElements to truncate the dimension at first.
When I put this command at the first line in one TI followed with codes to fill the dimension, the dimension is always empty.
However, instead of directly using this command, I put it in another process to be called, then it works.

So, what do I need to be done in order to use DimensionDeleteAllElements directly?

Thank you.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: To use DimensionDeleteAllElements

Post by declanr »

nayitian wrote:Hi there,

If I need to recreate a dimension with a brand new set of data, what I am doing is to use DimensionDeleteAllElements to truncate the dimension at first.
When I put this command at the first line in one TI followed with codes to fill the dimension, the dimension is always empty.
However, instead of directly using this command, I put it in another process to be called, then it works.

So, what do I need to be done in order to use DimensionDeleteAllElements directly?

Thank you.
When you say "first line" do you mean of the prolog or metadata tabs? If it's in the metadata it will delete the whole dimension over and over again as each record is processed.
If it is in the prolog can you please post the code for the whole TI as that shouldn't happen.
Declan Rodger
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

In addition to what Declan said, even in the Prolog, it can be that nothing happens.

For example, run this if you have a dimension called 'test':

Code: Select all

DimensionSortOrder( 'test', 'ByName', 'Descending', 'ByLevel', 'Ascending');
DimensionDeleteAllElements( 'test' );
Reversing the 2 statements makes it work but it's not intuitive to users and developers with not that much experience under their belt.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

Wim Gielis wrote:In addition to what Declan said, even in the Prolog, it can be that nothing happens.

Reversing the 2 statements makes it work but it's not intuitive to users and developers with not that much experience under their belt.

Any metadata change to a dimension (such as dimensionelementinsert or dimensionsortorder) creates a copy of the dimension which is committed back when the tab completes; I have nothing from IBM that confirms this but I have always assumed that this is why a DimensionDeleteAllElements AFTER a metadata change doesn't work, since DimensionDeleteAllElements() works on the original dimension that is then overwritten anyway.

But since OP said first line I assume this isn't the issue and it sounds like the OP is getting the opposite effect of that issue i.e an empty dimension (suggesting that DimensionDeleteAllElements has done something.)
Declan Rodger
BariAbdul
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM TM1, Planning Analytics, P
Version: PAW 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2019

Post by BariAbdul »

declanr wrote:
Wim Gielis wrote:In addition to what Declan said, even in the Prolog, it can be that nothing happens.

Any metadata change to a dimension (such as dimensionelementinsert or dimensionsortorder) creates a copy of the dimension which is committed back when the tab completes; I have nothing from IBM that confirms this but I have always assumed that this is why a DimensionDeleteAllElements AFTER a metadata change doesn't work, since DimensionDeleteAllElements() works on the original dimension that is then overwritten anyway.

But since OP said first line I assume this isn't the issue and it sounds like the OP is getting the opposite effect of that issue i.e an empty dimension (suggesting that DimensionDeleteAllElements has done something.)
I am sorry Declan ,Didn't understand fully what you are trying to explain here.Could you give please give an example.Thanks
"You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying......"
declanr
MVP

Post by declanr »

BariAbdul,

Wim already gave example code to prove the point (it is in fact enclosed in the quoted reply you posted.)

Try using that. You can also try using that but replacing the DimensionSortOrder with another metadata function.
Declan Rodger
BariAbdul
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM TM1, Planning Analytics, P
Version: PAW 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2019

Post by BariAbdul »

Thanks ,declanr.
"You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying......"