Help files

John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Help files

Post by John Hobson »

I have a client who has never been able to access the TM1 help files in a browser.

This morning he contacted me to try to resolve this.

Coincidentally I had changed the file type link in Windows this morning so that types
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
were associated with Firefox

When I went in to check the path I found that my doc was just showing 2 blank panes.

It does still work in IE though.

If I try to oen the file using browse I get the following error
Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (c) isn't associated with any program.
The path is C:/Program Files/Applix/DocLibrary/Eng/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

Any ideas?

J
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Andy Key
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Re: Help files

Post by Andy Key »

John,

I would guess that they've used IE specific javascript as it also works in IE7 for me.

On FF3 I get a blank screen apart from a column divider. Both columns are blank, but at least I can move the column divider. Which is nice.

Personally I think the new help system is a very large step back from the old one.
Andy Key
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

the error sounds like fox is interpreting the drive letter as the web protocol ( C:\ instead of http:\\ ) and thats why it fails to do anything. I think this might have a link with the nasty way IE is integrated with the operating system, as IE just uses the file path to show a page stored locally, it doesn't need the protocol.

i don't have that version of the help at work (yay!) nor access to fox (boo!) but i'll have a look at how fox behaves at home tonight. Never dawned on me that it might handle locally stored webfiles differently to those hosted, if it does then i'd be inclinded to log that as a fault and point out that not everyone is chained to MS and it should render the help files no matter what browser you use. Got access to Opera or Safari to see if they work either?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

Thanks Andy

It used to work in FF2 but upgrading to FF3 was something else I did last week so maybe its that that broke it.
but at least I can move the column divider
Well that can't have been intentional if the first 10 years of cube viewer were anything to go by :lol:

Steve - only got IE7 and FF3 here.

Cheers

John
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

John Hobson wrote:It used to work in FF2 but upgrading to FF3 was something else I did last week so maybe its that that broke it.
I've had other problems with FF3 and have had to go back to FF2, so it could well be FF3's fault.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Does the online documentation work for him? It's working for me on FF3. Could be a workaround until you sort this issue out.

http://www.applix.com/doc_lib/ENG/wwhel ... wwhelp.htm

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
Andy Key
MVP

Post by Andy Key »

Yep, the online version works fine in FF3 for me too.

But if I do View | Page Source on both pages, they are identical. So it is successfully rendering the online http: version, but not the local file: version, although it is not completely failing as I can see the column divider. Could be time for a rummage in about:config.
Last edited by Andy Key on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Key
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

Nice one Matt - never even knew there was an online version!

As Andy says it does work in FF3 and the problem must be in how it is dealing with the local settings.

J
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Steve Vincent wrote:the error sounds like fox is interpreting the drive letter as the web protocol ( C:\ instead of http:\\ ) and thats why it fails to do anything.
For the local help: does prefixing the URL with "file://" solve the problem?

Michel
Andy Key
MVP

Post by Andy Key »

When you open the file, it automatically gains the file:/// prefix. Yes /// not just //, but deleting the third / doesn't help as it immediately gets replaced, and we know that it isn't a problem, as FF is finding the file correctly, it is just having trouble rendering it.
Andy Key
John Hobson
Site Admin

Post by John Hobson »

I checked the FF3 error log and it shows a number of errors as shown here
Firefox Error Log when loading TM1 documentation
Firefox Error Log when loading TM1 documentation
fftm1.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
They mean nothing to me of course :oops: except to say that there appears to be some sort of permissions issue going on here (Yes we CAN read up here in the North West)

J
John Hobson
The Planning Factory