Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Warning - read only users

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello,

Just one thing I noticed while restricting TM1 users to read-only.
There is a property in the }ClientProperties cube for that. Just set it to 1 for read only.

However, if you do this to yourself, for example being TM1 admin person, you can also remove write rights from yourself / admin persons.
I was caught like that. What helps is writing a TI process to do a CellPutN of 0 in the relevant cell of the }ClientProperties cube. Execute it and you're good again.

Best regards,

Wim
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Warning - read only users

Post by jim wood »

Good to know. Thanks Wim,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
MGrain
Version: Various
Excel Version: Various

Post by MGrain »

I've been there and done that too, caused a moment of panic!

I added a rule to the }ClientProperties cube to set myself back to zero.
tm123
OLAP Product: tm1, cognos bi
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by tm123 »

The other problem with Read Only Users is that the Write-Back will be completely disabled for them. I know we can't complain about this, but since in my models I usually create a cube to store User Selections and use those Selections in MDX Subsets (for example to implement Cascaded Prompts), that becomes an issue
orlando
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8

Post by orlando »

tm123 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:05 pm The other problem with Read Only Users is that the Write-Back will be completely disabled for them. I know we can't complain about this, but since in my models I usually create a cube to store User Selections and use those Selections in MDX Subsets (for example to implement Cascaded Prompts), that becomes an issue
Just a quick thought about your issue.
Maybe you could "talk" to this cube via a TI (which read only users can execute). if they can't write ito a cube by the process, it should work to execute runti. the process run via runti (context of an user with hiher rights) could than handle your parameters.
tm123
OLAP Product: tm1, cognos bi
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by tm123 »

orlando wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 am
tm123 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:05 pm The other problem with Read Only Users is that the Write-Back will be completely disabled for them. I know we can't complain about this, but since in my models I usually create a cube to store User Selections and use those Selections in MDX Subsets (for example to implement Cascaded Prompts), that becomes an issue
Just a quick thought about your issue.
Maybe you could "talk" to this cube via a TI (which read only users can execute). if they can't write ito a cube by the process, it should work to execute runti. the process run via runti (context of an user with hiher rights) could than handle your parameters.
In my case, in every websheet that requires to cascade prompts, every time the user changes a SUBNM Selection, I have a DBSS that saves the Selected Member in my cube, which works perfect, and I do this not only to make the UI more user friendly, but even to avoid selection of Invalid Intersections. Doing this with a TI process, would require to have an action button clicked every time the user changes any of SUBNM selections.

It would be nice if this READ-ONLY user, does not stop the user from writing to a }Clients base cube
orlando
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8

Post by orlando »

tm123 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:30 pm It would be nice if this READ-ONLY user, does not stop the user from writing to a }Clients base cube
yep. that's true. or ibm should have never introduced them (instead made better prices for a "normal" user)