Characters in string values

Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Characters in string values

Post by Mark RMBC »

I am not talking here about the naming of elements but about the value entered into a TM1 intersection. So the data rather than the metadata.

I may have dreamt this but I seem to remember seeing a model where a % symbol entered into a comment field (a string measure called Comment) caused some issues. So for example a user would enter into a comment column the value, "% of units sold less than 50" and this would cause some issues, the nature of which I can’t remember!

Is anyone aware of such issues and if any symbols or characters should be avoided in string values in TM1?

I ask because on some test data I noticed a field that had the value Tom, Dick & Harry and wondered if I should replace the & with and.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Characters in string values

Post by tomok »

I don't know of any issues specific to TM1. Any time you store values into your system that double as reserved or special characters in a programming language you have to to be aware of the effect that may have on any programming you do. Since the "%" doubles as a wildcard in SQL, having that value in a cube AND having programming in a TI or a report, where you expect to execute something in SQL then it could be an issue. Things like this are what you need to watch out for, not that there is some sort of bug in TM1 that would keep you from using them.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Re: Characters in string values

Post by Mark RMBC »

Cheers Tom.

I spoke to a client to see if they remembered the issue and they said on the web the system would hang if they used a % symbol.

I tried testing this myself and experienced no issues. So I suspect the issue is more than just the symbol!