MDX Filter on cube by values

Chuks
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2010

MDX Filter on cube by values

Post by Chuks »

Hi All,

I want to do a filter on an active form with 2 TM1RPT row dimensions to find out the list of combinations that match a string value in the cube.

Cube name : test
Dimensions: Dim1, Dim2, Dim3, Dim4,Dim5, Dim6, Dim7 and Test Measures.

Example data in Cube:

Dim1 Dim2 Type
Name1 D1 Active
Name2 D2 Active
Name3 D3 Inactive
Name4 D3 Active

I have used the below code, and as you can see expect Dim 1 and Dim2 all the other dimensions have value at a fixed element. I want to find out the elements from Dim1 which has type set to Active by considering all Elements from Dim2.

I wasn't sure how to omit Dim2 or Add "!" function in MDX similar to the one we have in rules and hence used Dim2. Current member.

{FILTER({TM1FILTERBYLEVEL( {TM1SUBSETALL( [Dim1] )}, 0)},[test].([Dim2].CurrentMember,[Dim3].[E1],[Dim4].[E2],[Dim5].[E3],[Dim6].[E4],[Dim7].[E5],[Test Measures].[Type]) = "Active")}

Expected Result after applying MDX:

Dim1 Dim2 Type
Name1 D1 Active
Name2 D2 Active
Name4 D3 Active

Please let me know if the above result can be achieved..

Thanks in Advance!
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Re: MDX Filter on cube by values

Post by Mark RMBC »

I have tried in vain to achieve this and without any success! So would be very interested if anyone has a solution.

I have therefore done either of the following when faced with this issue (which I suspect has already crossed your mind!):

1) Created an attribute that mirrors the string element, in your case, [Test Measures].[Type] and have the MDX reference the attribute
2) Made sure I use numerics and not string for these type of flags. So in your case, Active would be 1 and Inactive 0 or whatever. This way the MDX is easier to compile.

regards, Mark
Chuks
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Chuks »

Mark RMBC wrote:I have tried in vain to achieve this and without any success! So would be very interested if anyone has a solution.

I have therefore done either of the following when faced with this issue (which I suspect has already crossed your mind!):

1) Created an attribute that mirrors the string element, in your case, [Test Measures].[Type] and have the MDX reference the attribute
2) Made sure I use numerics and not string for these type of flags. So in your case, Active would be 1 and Inactive 0 or whatever. This way the MDX is easier to compile.

regards, Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply!

1) It has to be a measure because its based on 2 dimensions and cannot be associated with 1 single dimension., Unless i create a dimension combining both the Dim1 and Dim2 in which i would end up creating a lot of elements.

2) I also tried a filter on numeric measures, but it still didnt work.
paulsimon
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

I am not sure that you will get what you want as any MDX will only apply to a single dimension. I am not sure that an MDX expression in a TM1RPTROW on Dim1 is going to accept Current Member on Dim2.

If your Active Form is going to only be used in Excel and not TM1 Web then a simple solution would be to output the element where you store Active or not and then use a Data Filter in Excel.

Regards

Paul Simon