Ideas and tips for enhancing your TM1 application
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

What Hotfixes are, and how to install them

Post by Alan Kirk »

Hotfixes are interim releases of the TM1 software which may be for the server, client, web or any or all of the above. They are not installation packages but rather loose files, which need to be copied over the top of an existing TM1 installation.

I noticed that the Hotfix packs don't come with the release notes or instructions, which is a touch disturbing. Accordingly I'll put the text of the standard installation instructions document below for reference.

Links to the threads relating to hotfixes for individual versions are contained in the FAQ thread. Unless otherwise specified, hotfixes are cumulative meaning that they contain the content of all preceding hotfixes. If you apply HF9, you're also applying HF8, HF7, HF6 etc. They don't need to be done sequentially. Hotfixes are only put onto the IBM servers for a limited time, after which you need to contact IBM support to get them. Usually only the latest HF will be found there.

As of the time of writing, the web link to get the hotfixes is https://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/. When you log in the path is /fromibm/im/GRT/. These can also be obtained via FTP.

In addition to the instructions below, I'd recommend making a copy of the relevant bin directory before copying the files over to ensure that you have the option of easily rolling back if anything goes pear shaped.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TM1 Hot Fix installation instructions

Prerequisites
All hot fixes are a loose file install that must be placed on top of its base version. i.e. 9.4.1 FP3 HF3 can be copied on top of 9.4.1 FP3, 9.4.1 FP3 HF1, or 9.4.1 FP3 HF2.

To install server files:
-Stop the TM1 Server/Admin Server
-Unzip the server files
-Copy the server files into the bin directory
-Restart the TM1 Server/Admin Server

To install client files:
-Shutdown any TM1 services running locally (perspectives, architect, tm1excelservices)
-Unzip the files
-Copy the files into the bin directory
-Restart the client

To install web files:
-Shutdown any web related process (i.e. asp.net, TM1ExcelService.exe).
-Make either a copy or zip of the original TM1Web directory (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TM1Web) to save as a backup – also note if there are any customizations made in the Web.config as those will need to copied into the new Web.config.
-Unzip web files to a temp location.
-In order to maintain the correct permissions on the web folders, the original TM1Web root folder must not be overwritten, instead the files/folders underneath should be replaced.
-In the temp location, open up the TM1Web directory.
-Select all files and folders and copy them.
-Go to the standard TM1 web location (i.e. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TM1Web).
-Paste new files into TM1Web directory, saying "yes to all" if any overwrite prompts appear.
-Move any custom settings from the Web.config file to the new config file .
*Please note* Each new web.config file contains important versioning information that if overwritten could make the web unusable. Be sure when editing the web.config that no edits are made in the <runtime> section (located 7 lines from the top of the config file).
-Restart IIS (in a command prompt type iisreset).
-Restart TM1ExcelService.exe.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.