Advertisements, add-ons and other commercial information
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Bedrock 3.0 Released

Post by Alan Kirk »

For the information of anyone who uses it but isn't on their mailing list, there's a new release of the Bedrock TI code library at Bedrock's web site.

The licence conditions preclude us from putting any details of the changes here, but they're listed in the change log of the .pdf that's contained in the zip file.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
rmackenzie
MVP

Re: Bedrock 3.0 Released

Post by rmackenzie »

Alan Kirk wrote:The licence conditions preclude us from putting any details of the changes here
What's the deal with the license conditions?

Wasn't Bedrock originally supposed to get a boost from community contributions? How's that supposed to happen if the code/ doco/ whatever can't be shared in this forum?
Robin Mackenzie
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

BedrockTM1.org wrote:Anyone is free to copy, modify, use, compile, sell or distribute the original BedrockTM1.org code, documents and information (the information), either in source code form or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any means, with the exception that you may not reproduce or publish the information on any web site, online service or printed media without prior express permission.

Where the information is copied, modified, used, compiled, sold or distributed, credit to the original author or authors must be left intact in the code or document.

All of the deliverable code in BedrockTM1.org has been written from scratch. No code has been taken from other projects or from the open internet. Every line of code can be traced back to its original author. So the bedrockTM1.org code base is clean and is uncontaminated with licensed code from other projects.
Alan - is the concern related to the bit that says 'with the exception that you may not reproduce or publish the information on any web site, online service or printed media without prior express permission." ?
Robin Mackenzie
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

rmackenzie wrote:
BedrockTM1.org wrote:Anyone is free to copy, modify, use, compile, sell or distribute the original BedrockTM1.org code, documents and information (the information), either in source code form or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any means, with the exception that you may not reproduce or publish the information on any web site, online service or printed media without prior express permission.

Where the information is copied, modified, used, compiled, sold or distributed, credit to the original author or authors must be left intact in the code or document.

All of the deliverable code in BedrockTM1.org has been written from scratch. No code has been taken from other projects or from the open internet. Every line of code can be traced back to its original author. So the bedrockTM1.org code base is clean and is uncontaminated with licensed code from other projects.
Alan - is the concern related to the bit that says 'with the exception that you may not reproduce or publish the information on any web site, online service or printed media without prior express permission." ?
That would be it. I don't think that was necessarily the intent of the condition, I think it was just intended to prevent someone from ripping off the entire codebase and publishing it on their own website as being "brought to you by {insert lamer firm's name here}, the world's leading (and cheepest!) experts in TM Wun". However whatever the intent, the wording is quite clear; on a literal reading of it we cannot even put an extract of the code to demonstrate how to call it, or include details from the change log, since that would be "publish(ing) the information on (a) web site", something that we don't have permission to do. And our own IP / licence protection policies on that are fairly rigid since all of us have way better things to do with our lives than get entangled in legal disputes, whether by accident or design.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

Thanks, Alan. I represented a very similar point to those who preside in the land of the Bedrock.
Robin Mackenzie
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

rmackenzie wrote:Thanks, Alan. I represented a very similar point to those who preside in the land of the Bedrock.
Actually it just occurred to me that the "or printed media" condition also means that anyone who makes reference to Bedrock code and the calls that they make to it in their own internal documentation (which is what I was just doing) are therefore also in breach of the condition if they ever print the document out into hard copy format.

I think that was a good point to make; I really think they would be well advised to revisit that condition to get rid of all the "unintended"s, otherwise it becomes effectively unusable unless someone commits technical licence breaches in their doing so.
-----------