Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

RuleLoadFromFile & RuleSaveToFile

Post by Steve Vincent »

We have RuleLoadFromFile , why not RuleSaveToFile?

The only time i have come across the need to load rules from a file is when i want to avoid them slowing down dataloads via TI. Most people manage rules in server explorer, but to turn them off, load data then turn back on you need to keep a backup copy of the original rules. This means you end up with multiple copies of the rule file and the chance to get them out of sync.

Being able to save the existing rules first to a location of your choosing would make the existing function so much more ... functional.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Gregor Koch
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, CX
Version: 9.0 and up
Excel Version: 2007 and up

Re: RuleLoadFromFile & RuleSaveToFile

Post by Gregor Koch »

Agree, that it would be a useful function but it is also very easily done with ExecuteCommand and a batch file.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

I agree Gregor you can do it this way but the the 2 format lines at the top of the RUX file make life a little more difficult. Havinf this command would help keep any rule editing within Architect in line with any source files easily,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Gregor Koch
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, CX
Version: 9.0 and up
Excel Version: 2007 and up

Post by Gregor Koch »

Not sure what you mean as I only see one line:

Code: Select all

FORMAT==100
and that one gets copied fine with the batch and gets copied back with the existing ruleload command.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

That's the line I mean't. Did I say 2.......... :oops:
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Harvey
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA, TM1, CX, Palo
Version: TM1 8.3 onwards
Excel Version: 2003 onwards

Post by Harvey »

How about SubsetGetMDX, or many other functions to interrogate the properties of subsets and views? I understand that the focus of TI is on creating new objects, as opposed to reading existing ones, but I agree it would be nice if it had a more complete API.

I recently developed a solution for this, called the Flow TM1 API Console. It allows you to get pretty much any property from a TM1 server and have it returned to a TI process. This will eventually be one of the free tools that Flow partners get access to, and I think it'll turn out to be quite handy.

It's in beta right now, so wouldn't be appropriate for production use, but I'd be happy to let a few members play with it.
Take your TM1 experience to the next level - TM1Innovators.net