Object Organisation In Server Explorer

Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1

What kind of object organisation would you like to see?

Folders within view, dimension, process and chores lists
50%
Select multiple objects and Send To application folders
50%
Another idea that I've put in a post below
No votes
I would prefer NO changes to the current system
No votes
This feature doesn't interest me
No votes

Total votes: 16

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Object Organisation In Server Explorer

Post by Alan Kirk »

This topic came up indirectly in this thread, but I was inspired to post this poll as I was scrolling through a loooooong list of views.

IBM doubtless feels that the ability to "categorise" views and other objects is given by Application folders, but as I pointed out in that thread the ability to move objects into those folders is clunky and unwieldily in any but a server with a small list of objects. I'm therefore curious to see who feels that additional methods of organisation would be desirable, and which ones they are.

The thoughts that come to my mind are:
- Having folders within the main list of views (and processes and subsets). It would be far easier to shift a newly created view into a folder in that list than having to draaaaaag it all the way up to an applications folder. This would also make a useful stop-gap measure to deal with the problem mentioned in this thread; if data export views could be created in a special folder, they would at least be tucked away and separated from "end user" views.
- Being able to select multiple views and processes, and instead of having to draaaaag them to an Applications folder one by one, right click and "Send To" an application folder. This would make it easy to categorise such objects as they're created. (Granted you can already do that with processes by creating it in the Application folder itself (right click -> New -> Process), but you can't do it with views.)

Please feel free to vote in the poll, even if it's a "don't want" or "don't care" vote; if these are to be requested as enhancements, it's important for as many people to speak their mind (whatever their opinion) as possible.

This poll allows up to three options.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.