Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Slice Buttons

Post by Alan Kirk »

Why, oh why, is Cube Viewer not supplied with either:
(a) TWO buttons for slicing, one to a new workbook, one to the existing workbook; or
(b) A toggle button on the toolbar which switches between the two modes.

As things stand you never know what you're going to get unless you have a seriously good memory for what your last selection was no matter how long ago it might have been, or you pop open the Options menu to check which mode it's in.

I don't know about anyone else but in the course of a typical day I will do many slices, some of which are related to each other (and which I therefore want in the same workbook) some not. Indeed, I normally want the first one to be in a new workbook and the subsequent ones in the same one. Let's see how that works.

{Slice}
Oh dangit, that went into the workbook that I had open. I must have had "Slice to new workbook" off.
{Delete sheet, turn on Slice to New Workbook, re-slice, distracting e-mail or phone call arrives.}
Where was I? Oh, right, next slice. Ooops, forgot to change the option to turn Slice to New Workbook off again.
{Deletes file and re-slices, or arranges windows (and hey, isn't that fun to do in 2007!) and drags the new sheet into the first one's workbook.}

Now let's see how a well designed Cube Viewer would work.
{Click on the "slice to new workbook" button}
{Distracting e-mail or phone call arrives}
{Click on the "slice to current workbook" button since you don't have to remember to reset a hidden option}

I do sometimes wonder whether those who design the interface ever use the interface operationally.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
stex2727
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2007

Re: Slice Buttons

Post by stex2727 »

Only noticed this now but ......

amen, brother

Steve
Olivier
Community Contributor
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Re: Slice Buttons

Post by Olivier »

:idea: That would be a really good improvement of the cube viewer !!!

I had to prepare training lately and i find it is difficult for users/analysts to remember these kind of secondary options/settings...

Some of my users always slice in the same workbook since they changed the setting once after asking how if it was possible,
most always slice in a new workbook as they never heard about the option,
and then all of them work around the latest configuration they have in place :)

No user ever read the manual...
Very few explore the menus...
All of them would have click on the viewer buttons to test what is available...
HTH
Olivier