Suggest and discuss enhancements for TM1
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

RFE 75869-Applications-Folder item sort order to be alphabetical

Post by gtonkin »

Yes, I know you can create folders and they will sort alphabetically but I am tired of folders with single items in them just to get some reasonable sorting going and guide users through their processes.

To try to get some alphabetical sorting going, I have optimistically logged RFE 75869

I am sure I am not the only one who would like to see this changed. Please go to the RFE site an vote (after clearing cookies, logging in prior to clicking the link above etc. etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance.

The gist of the RFE is:
Applications are used to create and organize short-cuts for users to more easily perform tasks or find related items by using a classification methodology.

Per the documentation: Display Order for References in Applications
TM1® displays references in applications in the following order. Within each reference group, TM1 sorts the references alphabetically in descending order: Cubes, Views, Dimensions, Subsets, Processes, Chores, Files and URLs

This is nonsensical as no real-world deployment would have workflow adhering to this sort order. The order should at least be parameter driven to allow modellers to set the sort to Alphabetical.

Use Case
An administrator has configured an application folder for users with step-by-step short-cuts linking them to the requisite processes, views etc.

The items required are as follows:
1-Data Import.process
2-Overnight Scheduler.chore
3-All N.subset
4-Review.view
5-Scorecards.view
6-Input Sheet.xlsx.blob

The application folder however shows:
4-Review.view
5-Scorecards.view
3-All N.subset
1-Data Import.process
2-Overnight Scheduler.chore
6-Input Sheet.xlsx.blob

This is counter-intuitive and requires all sorts of work-arounds to present a coherent workflow to users. A simple alphabetical sort would sort this issue.