Software Package Format :|

Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Software Package Format :|

Post by Steve Vincent »

Does anyone know why Cognos picked tar.gz to distribute their Windows installers for BI 8.4? Its not a standard Windows format and if all you have is a standard build server, how the hell are you supposed to install it when the IT Gestapo don't allow you to add things like Winzip or Winrar to handle them?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
dkleist

Re: Software Package Format :|

Post by dkleist »

A choice made a long time ago (15+ years) to create a single delivery format and since Unix couldn't do zip, tarballs won and the .tar.gz format was kept. The decision to keep and maintain that format in Windows is pretty silly.

Since they have an army that maintains their second-rate build and installation platform (the install stuff is all homegrown), that empire would not be dismantled. Staff numbers I've heard range between 40 and 200 people to maintain the installation and build infrastructure. Internally, it's in someone's personal best interest to make sure they don't ever go to a third-party tool.

That's why.

On a different note, 7-zip is open-source, free, and works well. Might be easier to swallow as no licensing issues.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Software Package Format :|

Post by Steve Vincent »

Indeed, its just shame the IT here is locked down tighter than a mermaids undergarments otherwise it wouldn't have been an issue. Might, just for a laugh, raise it as an issue on their support system and see where it gets me!! :lol:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet