viswaraju
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM COGNOS TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

laptop configuration for cognos 8.4 and cognos TM1

Post by viswaraju »

hi,
please can help me in laptop configuration for cognos 8.4. Why i am asking is cognos 8.4 supports windows xp mostly in which all laptops does give it please help in this which brand of laptop is good. To buy.

thanking you
rodrigo
OLAP Product: TM1, Executive Viewer
Version: 9.4 MR1 with FP3
Excel Version: 2003

Re: laptop configuration for cognos 8.4 and cognos TM1

Post by rodrigo »

Is difficult to help you on a specific brand and you are not telling your special needs.. get the best you can...
viswaraju
Regular Participant

Post by viswaraju »

thank you Rod,
i dont have any needs i want good configuration which gives good performance for cognos 8.4 and cognos TM1.
I want to install both this softwares.I need configuration for this.Why i am asking for suggestion is six months back, i tried install 8.4 in the laptop which as vista as OS on that software didnt installed.So there are issues with some OS. I want few suggestion from the Experts, So i am posting.
ravi
OLAP Product: cognos
Version: tm1 9.5

Post by ravi »

Hi

Are you asking hardware/software configuration of your laptop to install cognos 8.4 and TM1.

another question- when say Cognos 8.4 installation - is it for Cognos BI components or Cognos planning component installation.

Regards,
Ravi
viswaraju
Regular Participant

Post by viswaraju »

thank you ravi,
i am asking for software configuration and it is for cognos 8.4 BI.
ravi
OLAP Product: cognos
Version: tm1 9.5

Post by ravi »

Hi Viswaraju,

Sorry-I am besically a cognos Planning and TM1 Consultant.

Not sure about the Cognos BI configuration-will let you know if I get any information on this.

Regards,
Ravi
BradC
OLAP Product: TM1, PowerPlay
Version: TM1 9.1 - 9.5 and PP 6 - 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

Post by BradC »

I would recommend at least 4GB memory and a modern multi-core processor such as Intel Centrino 2 or above for a laptop running Cognos 8 BI for testing. If you also plan to run up multiple TM1 instances or large models, you may want to go for 8GB memory.

Although not supported, Cognos 8 BI will install on Vista Business or Ultimate, but you will need to go through a number of steps to configure IIS 7 that aren't documented in the installation guide (check the IBM support website). The version of IIS that comes with Vista Home Premium does not come with support for CGI or ISAPI so cannot be used with Cognos 8 BI. Also make sure you are running all the installation programs as an Administrator.

It is also possible to install Cognos 8 BI on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, although in addition to the above Vista notes, you have to set the compatibility mode of each installation executables to XP mode.

Cheers,
Brad Culbert
pradeep.k.jagadeesan
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.1

Post by pradeep.k.jagadeesan »

The 32 bit Operating System supports maximum 3GB of RAM. So eventhough you have 8 GB RAM, the Operating System supports only maximum 3GB of RAM.

With Memory Remapping enabled in the BIOS (allows full identification of more than 3GB by the BIOS), the Operating System is unable to use beyond 2GB of RAM

If you want to support your OS more than 3GB RAM, then you have to install 64 bit operating system. Not all the 64 bit Operating System supports more than 3GB physical RAM.