Cognos BI 8.4 with TM1 Data in MS SQL

appleglaze28
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, Planning
Version: 9.1 SP3 9.4 MR1 FP1 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

Cognos BI 8.4 with TM1 Data in MS SQL

Post by appleglaze28 »

I'd like to ask if anyone tried using TM1 data other than the Portlet provided by Cognos BI for TM1 but importing all TM1 cube data to a database and using it create relationship with an existing Database.

I used the a database from a MS Access and imported to SQL. Then I created te data source in Framework. Then using tables from MS Access I creates cubes in TM1 and then used ODBCOuput export data to a datasource before connecting it to Framework. When I was creating relationships I got this error prompt
Initial error during relationship creation between MS Access against TM1 data in MS SQL
Initial error during relationship creation between MS Access against TM1 data in MS SQL
Framework.JPG (143.1 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
I tried testing the exported TM1 Data...and I'm aslo getting an error. I noticed that both Store & Product that I was creation a relationsip is TEXT BLOB.
Framework1.JPG
Framework1.JPG (121.59 KiB) Viewed 7061 times
Framework2.JPG
Framework2.JPG (106.39 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Cognos BI 8.4 with TM1 Data in MS SQL

Post by David Usherwood »

I've got to ask....
Why?
Publishing a TM1 cube under Framework Manager will deliver faster results to your users than any other approach. Why push the data into SQL?
appleglaze28
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, Planning
Version: 9.1 SP3 9.4 MR1 FP1 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

Post by appleglaze28 »

Well generally some people would push data to SQL to store data to ensure that they have back up of the data in a database in case something does happen to the model.

But generally some people might want to use TM1's data source to model reports maybe in Cognos BI or other reporting tool.This will allow framework modellers to create specific reports for users be being able to define better what the needs of the report author would be. I only have a brief understand of Cognos BI so I'm not sure if I'm making sense in this since I'm not a BI user or developer.

Although I do agree, that its easer to use the TM1 cube in framework.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

appleglaze28 wrote:Well generally some people would push data to SQL to store data to ensure that they have back up of the data in a database in case something does happen to the model.
And given enough energy, technology and time to waste some people will doubtless split a gold atom into two smaller atoms, then recombine those atoms into gold when they need to use it.

Others will just store the original gold atom somewhere safe.

Transferring OLAP data into a relational database because it's needed for another application is one thing. Using a relational database as a backup for OLAP cubes is quite another.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

And....
But generally some people might want to use TM1's data source to model reports maybe in Cognos BI or other reporting tool.This will allow framework modellers to create specific reports for users be being able to define better what the needs of the report author would be. I only have a brief understand of Cognos BI so I'm not sure if I'm making sense in this since I'm not a BI user or developer.
Since TM1 9.4 is a working data source for Cognos BI 8.4, you have exactly that! Not for other, non Cognos reporting tools though. IBM quite likes it that way, since customers who have TM1 and want to deliver to non Excel/TM1Web users have to get C8.